Building equiptment list

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I have a bit of money and was thinking about upgradeing or new glass. I have the Nikon D40, Nikon 18-55, and Sigma HSM 70-200 f/2.8.

I love the 70-200 and would not get rid of it for anything aside from the NIkon version. The D40 is nice but I would like to upgrade it and am not sure what to go to. Also the kit lens is not my favorite and I was looking for faster glass but then I can not afford the Pro Nikon glass as I am not makeing money on photography right know. I could go for the Nikon D80 which would give me the AF motor so I could pick up a few primes. For lens, I have looked at the Sigma 18-50 HSM f/2.8, the Sigma 17-70 for the range and of course the Nikon 17-55 which I cant afford:( I would prefer the D200/300 but then I am not shooting for money at the moment so that is probably overkill. Any advise on the best way to go? The D80 looks like a good choice as it is in the price range and would greatly impove my lens choices. Lens suggestions to fill the need for good wide glass to compliment the 70-200 is also needed?

Thanks a lot guys!

My 18-70 is as sharp as my 17-55 was, it's just slower and the build is nowhere near what the 17-55 is. The 16-85 is sharp too, but it's f/5.6 at 85mm.

What is your opinion on the D80 idea in my second post? I do appreciate the lens opinion and yes I have been reading on here and did hear you mention that lens:)

I would say the best thing to do right now is build on the glass you have. But honestly, who gives a crap what I have to say you should do what is best for you and if buying a D80 is the right thing why should it matter what anyone on on an online forum has to say.

Your a hoot:) Love your honest answere! I would realy like that 50mm prime lens as I hear such great things about it, but I don't have the AF motor in my D40.

Your a hoot:) Love your honest answere! I would realy like that 50mm prime lens as I hear such great things about it, but I don't have the AF motor in my D40.

How about buying it anyway and practicing your manual focusing. It is dirt cheap, and you can keep it when you upgrade your D40.

Heck, the 50 1.8 is beer and pizza money.

I have the 1.4 50mm lens, great lens, however the different between 1.4 and 1.8 is not visible to the human eye really, get the 1.8 and spend the spare cash on other things.

I have heard that the f/1.4 is a better built lens (I am assuming that the one I listed from B&H is the one everyone talks about). Also for the price I think I would just pick up the f/1.4, I have tought about geting the lens and using the manual focus and will probably do that even if I don't get the D80 (thanks Sabbath999).

The Sigma 30 is much more expensive than the Nikon, that is the only problem.

Most reactions

Back