Building my portfolio... in 2 days

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, as it turns out, I have to show a portfolio of advertisement photos in a few days to a possible client. In order to do so, I am hoping for some advice. Here are the questions I would like answered:

1. I know the old standby of 11x17 white foamboard with 10x13 or 8x10's mounted on it, in a leather case. For monetary reasons, and since this is sort of a one time thing, would a small 3 ring binder with 5x7 photos mounted on cardstock be acceptable?

2. How many photos?

Any other advice you can offer would be helpful. It is a big client.

Thanks! :)

1/2 a day gone... and no replies! :( lol

Id go with both, normally id say the small 3 ring would be ok, but since you say this is a big client id pull out all the stops. Maybe even use something that you can remove later so you can use it over again and just change the photos. I dont really have any experience in this field it just seems to me if they are a big client and your going to be making a decent amount from them you'll want to give the best presentation possible.

Ask for an extension and do it right, mounted right with a representation of all your best work. 3 ring binders won't do it, if this potential client is so important treat it as such.

As you will be representing yourself, how do you want to be received? A 3-ring binder will not present well. I'm thinking you could find some middle ground with a nice professional looking presentation binder that won't cost an arm and a leg. Just don't come off looking like a high school kid.

I agree, if you are really serious about getting this client, going cheap would really screw up the deal and they probably wouldn't take you seriously.

Well I certainly don't want to "go cheap" but there has to be a more cost effective solution than a 70 dollar presentation binder and 10x13 photos on thick foam board. That would cost over 200 dollars that I JUST don't have right now.

I think I am going to scale it down. I can buy a portfolio folder for like 5 bucks, and get some cardstock. Im going to mount regular 4x6 photos on 12x12 white cardstock. A good balance I think.

10 photos? 12?

Well I certainly don't want to "go cheap" but there has to be a more cost effective solution than a 70 dollar presentation binder and 10x13 photos on thick foam board. That would cost over 200 dollars that I JUST don't have right now.

I think I am going to scale it down. I can buy a portfolio folder for like 5 bucks, and get some cardstock. Im going to mount regular 4x6 photos on 12x12 white cardstock. A good balance I think.

10 photos? 12?

Sounds good to me.. I think that if you make it look nice then great.. Have you thought of 5x7's? It is a thought...
I would say 12, give the client a little more variety of what you can do for them.

5x7's just jump the price dramatically. 12 would cost me nearly 30 dollars.

Well I would say go with what you can afford, that is about all you can do. If the client usderstands you are just starting out then they will usually understand.

Here is what I went with:

12x12 black cardstock.

I am going to double the cardstock and glue it.

I got 11 6x6 pictures printed, matte, at Ritz... first time using them, but I was happy with their online service... tonight Ill put it all together! :)

$30 for 12 5x7's...where do you print at? My local printer charges $.20 for a 4x6 and only slightly more for a 5x7. Someone is taking you for a ride. And I'm not talking about some crap printing place, this is a professional photography printing lab.

I thought they were charging me 2 dollars for a 5x7, but actually it was 1.50.

I like the square prints I picked out, to match the square paper, and they were only 50 cents each! :)

when i was planning my wedding back in 2005, i dont know how many photographers that we met with that had 3 ring binders as their portfolios. i didnt see anything wrong with it

Most reactions

Back