Building your own backdrop out of pvc?

Brian L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brianlinephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. I need to find some info on building my own backdrop stand. I want to build something that will be can be mobile. Can you guys give me some info or projects or materials at that matter for less then 50 bucks say or ball park it. Also what are cheap but good looking backdrops some people use? Thanks.

I am not really sure where else to put this except here due to it will be for the bizz. Let me know.

Alright well figured I would post here due to maybe someone liking a certain setup or what not. I will do some searching.

Awesome. Thanks for the extra post here. I was finding some things online but not what I wanted....lol

You may want to check out this site:

collapsable backdrops

if you scroll down a bit, there are some in the $50 ballpark... not sure exactly if it's what your looking for (size, color, portability...)

I have a stand that my husband put together out of PVC. But honestly, we could never get it as sturdy as we would have liked. In the end, I ended up just watching ebay for low pricing trends on a professional background stand, and I got something excellent for less than what we spent on the PVC. ($80). Also, the stand that we made took quite a while to put together and take a part each time. The stand that we bought, I can put together by myself, and it would take only about 3 minutes to set up.

Last edited:
You can build your own out of PVC with just a little effort. I've been through that and produced similar results as rachlynn. While it worked for the purpose, it wasn't as stable as I would've liked. You mention that this is for the "bizz". If you are going to use it in a professional setting, i.e., you are charging clients, what do you think their first impression is going to be when they see a PVC background stand? While it may work, it still looks like sh*t on a cracker. I used mine only with my family and once or twice was long enough to decide that it is much easier to just shell out a few bucks. The first time you are paid for a shoot in the "bizz" it will pay for itself.
I ended up w/ one similar to this:
DPFSBGSPKT Photoflex First Studio BackDrop Support Kit, with BackDrop Crossbar Pole, 2 DP-LS933 Stands, & Carry Bag
Very stable, goes together very quickly and doesn't look ghetto.

I went with the Manfrotto background stand after thinking about building my own.
I could not see how I could make it as stable as and of the models out there.
One thing I did do for a 2nd one in a pinch was to use a colapsible closet rod and 2 inexpensive light stands.
I think the whole rig cost $60.
But if you are going to use this in a pro situation, just get the right thing the first time and save money in the long run with replacements and repairs.

I agree with SpeedTrap.

I bought a backdrop stand 'kit' for $100. It has two heavy duty stands, a 4 section cross bar that can be as long as 12' and it comes in a nice travel case. Not bad for $100.

A homemade backdrop support system is a liability lawsuit looking for a place to happen. ;)

I went with the Bogen/Manfrotto Auto-Poles system, with the accessory stabilizer legs, which allows me to set up anywhere, pretty much. I bought half the system new, and half used.

The $150 PhotoFlex brand system linked to above is priced in the ballpark with other similar two-giant-lightstands-with-crossbar setups.

I would never dream of showing up with a PVC or wooden dowel backdrop support system on a payed shoot...it's just too cheesy-looking.

I agree with SpeedTrap.

I bought a backdrop stand 'kit' for $100. It has two heavy duty stands, a 4 section cross bar that can be as long as 12' and it comes in a nice travel case. Not bad for $100.

:thumbup:

I built a light tent with PVC for close-up/macro photos, and at 3' square, that can be pain in the butt to set up & tear down. When it came time for a backdrop stand, the first thing through my mind was "3 x 10' pieces of PVC sticking out of the back of the Jeep...NOT". I spent the $120 and bought a 3 piece set-up....2 heavy duty stands that go up to 11' tall and a telescoping bar that goes 12' wide. It sets up & tears down in minutes (by myself), and fits in a 4' bag that easily slings over the shoulder.

It is tempting to do some things DIY, but unless you plan on never moving it, this is one I'd recommend against. I can almost guarantee you would build this, not be happy with it, and then wind up spending money again for a nice set-up....kinda like the tripod evolution..

Most reactions

Back