Bumble Bee Shot (for real this time?)

jrice12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, think I got the hang of it... Thanks for the points, hope this works!

Shot was taken hand held with manual everything (including focus). Canon 550D with EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro USM lens. 1/250 sec, f8, ISO 400. Post-processing minimal - just a little boost on contrast and color saturation, and some cropping. The thing kept moving from flower to flower, very hard to get the shot. Notice the pollen grains on its eyes... you would think that would itch like mad!

6024925270_bf83c15d68_b.jpg

Very nice shot.

What to improve: white balance and color temperature and light (white blew up). Close aperture a bit and you'll get less light and more DOF.

Sharpness is wonderful.

Very nice shot.

What to improve: white balance and color temperature and light (white blew up). Close aperture a bit and you'll get less light and more DOF.

Sharpness is wonderful.

Good points all. Had difficulties with direct sunlight for this shot as well.

Great shot. The colors on the flower are very nice.

Great shot. The colors on the flower are very nice.

The flower is actually a type of thistle - I have a solitary of the flower I will post next. I like the color contrast between flower and bee as well as the bracketing of the bee with the flower below and pink circle atop (also a flower) - accidental composition. A negative is its starboard wing was in motion as well as its port antenna (both blurry).

Last edited:
Very nice shot.

Sharpness is wonderful.

Good points all. Had difficulties with direct sunlight for this shot as well.

One should avoid intense sun. Shoot early in the morning and/or in the evening. If sunlight is too yellowish use an yellow coat (film strip) in the flash to prevent mixed light temperatures.

Most reactions

Back