Ozzmosis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.adventuresofcoryandsherry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I recently designed some business cards for myself, and would like some more feedback. Tell me what you think.

Front:
Business_Card-front.jpg
Business_Card-front.jpg

Back:
Business_Card-back.jpg
Business_Card-back.jpg

Thanks!

Very nice looking. The only thing I would question is the market that you're going after. If you want to get into portraits or weddings, then a waterfall shot wouldn't be my first choice. However if you're going to be shooting landscape stuff for people, then maybe this image works. You just have to make sure that you're appealing to your target audience.

I agree. A landscape shot on a card doesn't really lend itself to portraits/events/weddings.

I don't think the lens is something that needs to be on there, you would be better off getting rid of it and using the space to enlarge for text.

My personal preference is for simple, easy to read cards. It should just be your information...a way for people to get in touch with you. Using an image to catch people's eye...shouldn't be what a business card is for.

i was just thinking. less is more, but i see Mike is going down the same road.

keep things clean and simple.

I find them both too busy and i won't look twice. Don't mean to be ugly but you asked. :)

Hehe thanks for the replies.

I got kinder C&C here than at another forum!

When I originally designed the card, I wanted to try and get some impact. I thought I wanted a photo on the front of the card that had no identifiable people in it, and I wanted the back to look somewhat flashy without going overboard. I figured I achieved that somewhat.

I stuck the lens pic in there to fill in for the lack of text. It looked funny to have the text larger, and I figured it would look nice to compress, then fill the top a little. The actual printed cards look darker than these due to the printing process, so the lens is quite shaded. I had one person tell me the lens looked neat.

After getting slammed at the other forum, I was thinking, that during my next photo shoot, I will have my wife borrow an XTi with my wide angle, and shoot behind me, while I'm composing a shot of my subject. That way the photo would be geared more towards a portrait, and not the waterfall I chose. And it would be me (my back) in the photo, and not someone else. I will have to tone down the logo font, as I forgot to fade it more on the front. The back looks ok tho. Also the text under the logo on the back of the card can be toned down as well.

I have given out quite a bit of cards today, and all got pretty rave reviews. I asked each person to take a good look at it, and tell me if anything looked "too much" or "out of place" one person even told me that by asking for C&C here, that I am reaching out to photographers who have seen it all before, and that my actual target is people who are shopping for a photographer.

Dunno if that made any sense!

Thanks again for the honest C&C :)

Last edited:
Here's what I do,
Whenever I know i'm going to be needing some new cards, a couple of photo shoots before I make them; I'll look for hand holding, shoes, and other details at the shoot that I could use on my cards.

Just a tip...Hope it gave you an idea...

Here's what I do,
Whenever I know i'm going to be needing some new cards, a couple of photo shoots before I make them; I'll look for hand holding, shoes, and other details at the shoot that I could use on my cards.

Just a tip...Hope it gave you an idea...

You know what... That would be a good idea. Something up close without a facial shot that can identify. I think for my next shoot I'm going to rent a macro lens (Spent too much lately to afford it... LOL)

Thanks alot for the idea. I appreciate it!

it is true that you want the people your giving the card to, to pay attention.

the audience that your talking with in this thread have a whole different take on the situation.

You have to do what makes you happy.

Just to be honest tho, if you handed me that card i would just toss it aside. Again, not to be nasty, just that would be my reaction. However, i bring a whole different viewpoint to the table.

Just want to be clear that what i think may have no value for your situation which is fine with me. you have to know your audience and what will bring you clients.

it is true that you want the people your giving the card to, to pay attention.

the audience that your talking with in this thread have a whole different take on the situation.

You have to do what makes you happy.

Just to be honest tho, if you handed me that card i would just toss it aside. Again, not to be nasty, just that would be my reaction. However, i bring a whole different viewpoint to the table.

Just want to be clear that what i think may have no value for your situation which is fine with me. you have to know your audience and what will bring you clients.

I've thought about the design, and next time, I am going to change some things to make it less busy, and simple yet sophisticated. I have some ideas that I have to play around with, that will still get the punch I want, and keep it pleasing to the eye.

When I thank people for their input, I mean it too :) Thanks everyone!

I'd make the font a more sophisticated/formal one if you are wanting to attract the wedding business. That one is too casual, and I'm sorry, but I'm not loving your logo for the same reason.

Good luck with your business.

As a designer, I would say it's a little busy on the front with the image behind it. Simple is safe. It should be something generic because right now it looks as if you only do landscapes. There is also no need for the green box or the lens on the back in my opinion...

My take on it is this. Loose the logo unless its one you have been using for a while and is recognized. I would rather see something more elegant especially if your looking to do wedding photography. The waterfall has to go as mentioned above close ups of shoes/dress/bouquet maybe a silhouette of the bride and groom in a gazebo or at the alter or something along those lines. Besides the info you have already on the back put a physical location, town or city something to that effect.

I'd say that for business cards, less is more. People really aren't expecting art in that tiny of a space. They just want something to throw in their wallet to remember your contact information. We use the same color for our business cards that we do for our web site. It gives a sense of consistency to the whole business.

Most reactions

Back