Business License?

Most local jurisdictions require a business license, simply registering your business to operate from that jurisdiction. Provides the first step in collecting slaes tax thorugh the state if applicable. If indeed you are not required to register to be operating as a business, really curious why you would want to get entangled in a process, and although the fees are typically fairly low, spend the extra money? If by type you are inquiring about how to formally structure your business...sole prop to corp...that requires a lot of background details and an expert to weigh-in. The driving factors are usually liabiity and income tax. Give a lot of thought to those two topics and seek some legal counsel to see what the best and most economic fit is for your situation.
And that is exactly what I was referring to. It’s that, what you are mentioning, if frequently not called a LICENSE, rather a Business Certificate. Therefore, people look online for Business License Requirements” and they only see Plumbers, Electricians, Veterinarians, Insurance Sales, etc, and ASSSUME that means they don’t need a “license” for their photography business etc. It’s just NOT the case. Every location wants EVERY business registered because they want your tax money and they want you to collect taxes for THEM.

In my area, I had to register my busienss with the county, but there is no license. I did have to apply for a tax certificate as well though through the state of Michigan.

In my area, I had to register my busienss with the county, but there is no license. I did have to apply for a tax certificate as well though through the state of Michigan.

Thats exactly what I am talking about and THAT'S the part people are missing.
You DON'T have to have a License, but that doesnt mean you dont need to be registered and pay taxes.

Can't give good or accurate info until we know generally where the OP is at.

License is very much important whether it is necessary or not. License increases your credibility and you can get more business. I think you should Google it and there you can find the way you can get license. If you are doing a business then make sure that you have a business insurance also. Business Insurance also required if you want to win the confidence of your customers.

If you don't live in Seattle, why lie that you do?

Then change your location or just leave it blank. Can't give help when we only get half assed information from you.

Wow, that's all pretty silly.

I don't live in San Diego. I live about 25 miles east of San Diego. I use "San Diego" in my profile solely as a geographical reference because, if I used the name of the town I actually live in, people would say "Where?"

I suspect the same is the case with the OP. Let's say he actually lives in Sammamish. Who the Hell knows where Sammamish is? But saying "Seattle" let's everyone know where he is, geographically, in the state of Washington.

Accusing someone of "lying" about where they live because of something like that is pretty stupid...

Last edited:
Your computer's IP address provides your location at any rate, so it's sure no big secret.

A bit off topic, but wanted to comment on this. IP address is not an accurate tool to figure out where someone lives. My ISP changed how they routed traffic a couple years ago, but prior to that, my IP address would have shown up as Anchorage, AK, and I can tell you for a fact I've never even lived there. When I used to work for the Feds, our traffic was routed through a proxy in Arlington, VA, and my location would have shown up as that, even though it would be hard for me to live further from that location. Although IP addresses can be used generally as a way of determining location, they are far from accurate and it's very easy to get around it.

As for the business license problem. If it's not required, there's no reason to get it. The exception is if there is some type of benefit. Just because your municipality doesn't give out a photography business license, doesn't mean you don't need one. Usually there will be a General type license that is used as a catch all. As an example, in Alaska, I can carry a concealed handgun without a license. But, the benefit to getting a license (which Alaska does still offer) is that I can use it in states that have reciprocity with Alaska.

So, if you don't have to get one, don't get it unless there's some benefit to you.

SteveD,

When someone asks for help where the answer relies on a more specific location they should provide the information that is pertinent to their location in their question. I gave information on where he needed to go to find the rules for The State of Washington regardless of what town or city he was in.
In his following post he did not acknowledge that is led to his answer other than to state he was not in Seattle, so we don't even know what state he is in. So we still don't know if he got the help he needed.

I also put in a larger known town as my location that is closest to me, but I often refer to where I am really from in posts, but then of course everyone in the world knows where Eatonville is :wink: (no, not the one on the other side of the country in Florida).

As far as the response from KmH, it's not really an accusation if the guy admits to it now is it?

Unless you live in Wyoming, Nevada and a few other states, then it is very likely that you do have to register your business in one way or another for tax purposes.

Even then, municipal and county taxes may apply.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back