Business Portrait Photo

There are alot of things that prevent this from being a professional looking portrait. The background is too hard for a portrait. Move the subject away from the background, and get it out of focus. It's also not uniform in that you have a chunk of white back there. All white or none, but not this little bit. It's distracting. Also as mentioned, the color temp and skin tone are very cold. Lighting is really key here, and you have such flat lighting from what looks like natural light, but also you have bits of sun poking in. You've got to be more careful where you place your subject.

Here is some inspiration:

http://studiomark.com/corporate.html

If natural light is your only choice, consider making or buying a diffusion panel. Put the subject into uniform lighting, and sculpt it so it flatters the subject. A shadow side of the face creates some depth. Get the light at an angle.

I don't wanna sound mean here but with his pink skin and squinting eyes it looks like he spends a little too much time in the office.

For some reason, I think you dodged his face to make it so pale. If you compare his face to his neck, there an obvious difference. Can you post an original version?

Thanks everyone for all your posts. I really appreciate the comments and I am learning so much. I can see now so many things that i would do differently given better conditions and time restraints. I have posted the photos side by side before/after edits.

05140027-b.jpg

05140033-b.jpg

05140036-b.jpg

I saw this on Strobist I think it is a great video on executive portraits.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a really cool timelapse.

Most reactions

Back