Business Venture - Photography Classes

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking and there are so so so many people out there with digital cameras be it point and shoots or slr's stuck in fullly auto and it got me thinking that a lot of people probably want to learn how to better use their cameras.

What I had in mind was maybe set up something like a 6 class program that met maybe twice a week. I would teach people all the basic foundations of photography, exposure composition and all that good stuff. If I had enough people interested I could then have a more advanced class for people who might know the basics but want to get more into portrait photography. We recently redid my garage and I am planning on turning it into a little studio so that would be the perfect place for it. I have some friends who wouldn't mind modeling for a few classes and I could give them some money for it.

What do you guys think? Is it a possibility?

Definitely!! I live in a small town and people are ALWAYS asking me if I know of any classes. Since most people work, having it in the evening or on a weekend would probably bring more interest.

What I had in mind was maybe set up something like a 6 class program that met maybe twice a week.
If you structured and priced it right... you could probably make as much teaching photography than actually doing photography.

Also consider doing 1-night seminars/workshops in addition to a 6-class program. You could charge $100 for a 1-nighter, but probably not the equivalent $600 for a 6-class session.

A combination of "programs" and "single workshops" is probably your best bet.

It usually seems that the most 'successful' people in many disciplines, make a ton of money by either teaching, speaking or writing books. It's all about selling yourself...much more so than actually being proficient in their field.

I think the key would be having some way to really impress people and getting them to fork over the cash for lessons/seminars.

Ok cool well let me start working on some promotional material and prices and such and I'll get back to you.

I like the idea of having the single workshop in addition to the courses.

Thanks guys

Ok cool well let me start working on some promotional material and prices and such and I'll get back to you.
Whatever price you come up with... double it. :)

Can't wait to see the final product.

But what if I already know what I'm worth and ask for lets say 2K? I think it might be hard to find someone willing to pay 4k for 6 hours......:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Fair enough... it was just a general comment on how most photographers severely underprice themselves.

I mean, I read somewhere that Larry the Cable Guy made $21 million last year... and most photographers are scared to ask 50 bucks for a sitting fee.

This is a fantastic idea!
There isn't much around here either. I've only heard of 1 photography course EVER and I know that I would be way beyond it and find it totally borring!

I would suggest making your own manual.
Have explanations of things like aperature, shutter speed etc.
Something that isn't too cluttered and very easy to read and follow.
Also have sample pictures (that you took of course) showing the difference between small aperature and large, faster or slower shutter speed.

That way you also have an ouline for yourself so you're not rambling on and losing students along the way.

Let us know how it goes!!!

That's a great idea neea. I was thinking about taking a look at the various beginner sites online and seeing exactly how they explain certain things. In my head everythign makes perfect sense but when trying to explain an idea to someone who knows nothing about photography who knows how it will sink in. So after I browse around a bit I can put together my own manual taking some ideas from various sites, my head, and of course my own pictures :)

hahah yeah I know what you mean for sure, just jokin around. Why are we so afraid to ask for money?

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't ask for a lot of money because I'm afraid of losing the sale. Photography is one of those things that the ordinary person off the street thinks they can do, or at least thinks they can do well enough to avoid paying "huge" fees to a "professional photographer."

As opposed to Larry the Cable Guy -- the cable company provides a specific service that the ordinary person CANNOT do nor can find a substitute (other than renting movies and watching network TV). Same thing with jewelery, or camera lenses, or shoes (well, maybe not some shoes).

It's a perception of what the public thinks it can do vs. how well the professional can improve upon it, and if they think that the money saved is worth an inferior product that may accomplish the same thing, then they'll save the money.

Where I live, People think the training is a great idea, BUT they expect it be at no cost! I even offered my training at a steep discount to the employees of the town where I was going to hold a workshop at their library, as the Library manager put it "People around here expect everything offered at the library to be free" She even helped advertise the workshop to employees with a very positive letter. The response was too small to hold the workshop. I will be advertising again in Dec. for a workshop in Jan. (to target people who get cameras for Christmas)

That's a great idea neea. I was thinking about taking a look at the various beginner sites online and seeing exactly how they explain certain things. In my head everythign makes perfect sense but when trying to explain an idea to someone who knows nothing about photography who knows how it will sink in. So after I browse around a bit I can put together my own manual taking some ideas from various sites, my head, and of course my own pictures :)

Thanx!

Personally, Im a very visual learner. You can tell me something a million times and force me to read it a million more but until I can actually put it to use... I have no idea what's going on.

Aperature for example. Grr.. I hated it so much!!
It wasn't until I took my film out, took the lens off, and released the shutter with different aperature settings did I go 'UH HUH.. I GET IT NOW'.

I need books and instructions to be very visual. I have come across books since then that actually show an example of what it looks like inside.

If you need help making up a manual I'm sure there's lots here that would help you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back