Butterflies 9 shots HDR

The HDR treatment does nothing to improve these shots IMO. Not bashing the pics. They are average as far as butterfly shots go. Im just saying that all of these could have been attained with one (good) exposure.

The problem with HDR is that ist waaay over-used. Fact is that unless what your shooting has a tonal range greater than what your sensor can provide then you are wasting your time. Time that could be better spent improving on comp and exposure. ;)

The HDR treatment does nothing to improve these shots IMO. Not bashing the pics. They are average as far as butterfly shots go. Im just saying that all of these could have been attained with one (good) exposure.

The problem with HDR is that ist waaay over-used. Fact is that unless what your shooting has a tonal range greater than what your sensor can provide then you are wasting your time. Time that could be better spent improving on comp and exposure. ;)

"Not bashing the pics" and "They are average as far as butterfly shots go" is what is expected in a critique. Criticizing the OP for wasting his time puzzles me. Why are so many people concerned about the time wasted by the OP when doing HDR? Its your opinion he wasted his time. And its my opinion you are dead wrong.

What I notice is that when someone posts anything decent to look at in this site, it seems to me the jealous over ego parasites come out and they cling on. Funny thing is that the only one’s contributing to the HDR forum are the few of us that are plagued by these clowns. Instead of worrying about what other people are doing with their time and talking **** out of your ass how about you contribute and show us your better aspects of what it takes to be in the presence of such greatness as the so called photographer you are making yourself out to be in this place. Show us your great composition and spectacular HDR shooting and processing techniques. Till then you will be just another tick lynched onto my balls and I am about to scratch you off. And if this reply gets me banned then so be it there is no order in these forums this is supposed to be a friendly place to share ideas, help each other out, but lately it’s been a bashing forum and post anything to get your post count up. Now that’s wasting time no contribution to the forums at all but bs reply post.

"Haters throw salt like rice on a wedding" UGK

Last edited:
I was just offering what I thought was constructive critique, didn't mean to offend you or invoke such an angry reaction. I apologize. I thought that was the purpose of this site. For us all to help each other get better.

If you don't think i'm qualified to offer such advice, check my work for yourself.

"Not bashing the pics" and "They are average as far as butterfly shots go" is what is expected in a critique. Criticizing the OP for wasting his time puzzles me. Why are so many people concerned about the time wasted by the OP when doing HDR? Its your opinion he wasted his time. And its my opinion you are dead wrong.

Because most of the people working on HDR are below average photographers trying to fancy-up boring pics.

Time is a commodity. And , in the beginning, time spent learning how to take good photographs is much more well spent than time learning how to (usually) overprocess mediocrity. Photoshop wont make you a good photographer.

Edit: and he's so well spoken too. Tick on balls. And quoted UGK? :er:

Because most of the people working on HDR are below average photographers trying to fancy-up boring pics.

Time is a commodity. And , in the beginning, time spent learning how to take good photographs is much more well spent than time learning how to (usually) overprocess mediocrity. Photoshop wont make you a good photographer.

Edit: and he's so well spoken too. Tick on balls. And quoted UGK? :er:

The best part of this is "time spent learning how to take good photographs is much more well spent than time learning how to (usually) over process mediocrity" Well hell I looked at your flickr photo stream just to see what the hell this expert talking about. I can say the same thing about your shots I am honest some are good but you have like 5 pictures of just rocks??? And some other pictures of massive empty space in your composition??? This surely must be the great composition you are talking about. Not to mention you tell me I am wasting my time well what do you have to say for yourself when you where just shooting a rock nothing else but a rock? I mean where you talking to the rock or just staring at the rock?
What I really need to do is not waste my time debating on these forums just post a shot welcome the positive and ignore the negative I am taking this to personal, but that is because we have some people here that just like to troll around bashing images but yet again they present themselves as masters and have the nerve to tell me I am wasting my time when their own creativity is mediocre.

And with that said I am now done on this topic.

Last edited:
You are a tool. I never said anything about being an expert/master did I? Or even good for that matter? No. You did. So stop assuming things. And yeah, pics of glaciers. Are they all the same? Uh, no. You only take one pic of each subject? Damn, you are good..... Dur. I was working on comp and exposure because I know everyone (especially myself) can improve and I dont get to see a lot of ice here in Florida.

You obviously are not humble enough to take the criticism for what it is. If you ignore the negative you will never improve or grow sir. Im not trolling. I was trying to convey that if you worked on improving your exposure and comp your pics would be much better. And then, maybe, think about HDR when it suits a particular image.

But hey, dont take my word. Look back on this thread in a couple years (if youre still shooting) and I bet dollars to donuts that you go " damn, he was right..."

Edit: where do you think you fall on this graph? Note where the "quality of photos" is in relation to the "HDR hole". The truth can be a harsh mistress. Thats why people usually get so defensive when it rears its ugly head.....

photographer-graph-1024x858.png

Last edited:

This is the HDR Thread. If you expect to see something else then your S.O.L. If you see too much bad HDR then if you stay out of here then you will see a less. Your kind of criticism we dont need.

This is the HDR Thread. If you expect to see something else then your S.O.L. If you see too much bad HDR then if you stay out of here then you will see a less. Your kind of criticism we dont need.

Of course I expected to see HDR. I also never said anything about HDR sucking. If its done well, on a good photo, then its a great process.

My criticism may have sounded harsh. But sugar-coating and coddling are for children. Anyways, I didnt come here to jack your thread. Its all just my opinoin right?

We arent talking anything about sugar-coating or coddling. We are talking about comments which dont fall into critiquing. Cut a shot up if it deserves it. That includes comments on composition, color, focus, cropping, etc. It does not include the time the OP spent or the methods he used. Those are just none of your business. If you feel HDR wasnt called for, think about it. This is the HDR thread and maybe the OP might even feel the same way but tried out HDR anyways. Just to see what would happen. If you like it say so, and if you dont say so. But thats about it. The kind of comments you make are more personal to the OP than to his photo. And finally suggesting that most people who submit HDR photos are lousy photographers tells me lots about you. Its a fairly new game and Im in favor of anyone learning it. You have to think HDR when you are taking pics now. Not just a simple single shot but you have to also think the Hi's and Lo's. What you see here, whether you like them or not are usually the end product of a lot of hard work. How boring to just go out, point your camera, click and post. Like a lot of things those days are gone.

Last edited:
Arkanjel voice his personal opinion which he and others are entitled to but Bynx you are right if he didn't like it thats all he would've had to say, but the way he came out and said im wasting my time etc.. that **** don't fly with me. But hey it's the internet im over it I can't get bent out of shape due to someones rude commenting.

They are my own images that I processed it might not appeal to likings of everyone which is understood. But what really matters is what I think and I like my results.
I made the decision to share it here so I have to understand the comments wether they are good or harsh that come with it so I to am at fault for blowing up but I have my reasons for defending myself especially when being insulted.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back