Buy Brand New or Refurbished?

Pocahontas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like your opinions on the topic of purchasing brand new or refurbished cameras. I am looking into purchasing a Canon Rebel t1i (fits my budget & needs well), and Adorama.com offers two almost identical kit/packages, but a big difference in price: $509 for kit with refurbished, $605 for kit with brand new t1i. I would love to save the extra $100 if possible, but I don't want to "cut-corners" persay, and end up with something that doesn't last me for quite a few years.

So, question time!
Is it smart/safe to buy refurbished? Would I even notice a difference between brand new and refurbished? What have been your experiences with refurbished cameras/lenses? (pro's/con's, positives/negatives, etc.) Details are appreciated!

Any and all input would be fantastic!

I've always wondered about used or refurbished. Always questioned if I was getting someone elses problems. If something goes wrong your always going to question, would this have happened if I got it new. Spend the extra $ and get the new.

My dad always tells me to buy the refurbished. His thinking is this: only some cameras will be examined/tested coming off the line, while every refurbished camera has to pass, so you're less likely to get a lemon. So far, it's always worked for him. ;) My camera is a refurb and works great. No problems with two years of use (and that's saying something for me!).

I would go refurb if they come with the same warranty, and they usually do. You aren't really taking more risk. In fact, as has been pointed out, you may be taking less because it has been tested.

I appreciate your responses. I am currently leaning toward the refurb (I think lol).

Ive never purchased a lens or camera new, all refurb or used. The only problems ive had are with third party brands, and i suspect i would have had them if i purchased new. Nikon and canon create quality products that last for decades, no reason to buy new imo.

Canon refurbished lenses and bodies come with a 90 day warranty vs. the 365 day warranty when you buy new. In my opinion 90 days is plenty of time to test out the gear to make sure everything works good. I have ordered several refurbished items from Canon and they have all been perfectly fine. From my research and opinion they are repaired and tested much more than the new products. I would say your chances of getting a bad item are much higher buying new than refurbished.

I would like your opinions on the topic of purchasing brand new or refurbished cameras. I am looking into purchasing a Canon Rebel t1i (fits my budget & needs well), and Adorama.com offers two almost identical kit/packages, but a big difference in price: $509 for kit with refurbished, $605 for kit with brand new t1i. I would love to save the extra $100 if possible, but I don't want to "cut-corners" persay, and end up with something that doesn't last me for quite a few years.

So, question time!
Is it smart/safe to buy refurbished? Would I even notice a difference between brand new and refurbished? What have been your experiences with refurbished cameras/lenses? (pro's/con's, positives/negatives, etc.) Details are appreciated!

Any and all input would be fantastic!

Only $100 difference, Go new!

I always buy refurb whenever I can. I just bought a refurb sb700 and saved $26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you know you can turn that AUTO SPAM off?

I bought used gear almost exclusively. I made sure the gear was in good condition though.

Few people that buy new ever need to use the warranty.

I subscribe to the theory that refurbished is better tested than new.. I just bought a refurb D7000 and its great.. it came with a one year warranty too from Ritz

I bought my D90 as a factory demo from Cameta.com and it only 200 shutter count ! :) 90 mfg warranty and 1 year seller warranty. for about a 30% discount. Had it over a year now and still excellent. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back