Buy D750 on sale or wait for the D400/500?

Well here is the problem Derrel, cameras like the D7200 is already an excellent camera, its got top notch AF system, bigger buffer, 6 or 7FPS (depends of mode) and amazing sensor, I think many people who shoot wildlife and sports can get most of what they want with this camera which cost about half what the D500 does.
Sure if you shoot only sports or wildlife and maybe even get paid then the D500 is right for you but not a lot of people are so committed.
For the average shooter this camera will be a huge waste of money.
If I was only starting photography now I would rather get the D7200 and spend 1000$ on lenses then get the D500 with a basic kit lens.
If you were starting out now, you would probably not even be looking at the D7200, probably a d3k/5k series. The D500 is clearly not made for someone starting out. It is a very specific set of specs that are geared towards me to make me switch back :)
Technically the D7200 is only 5 FPS in 14 bit raw. People that shoot what I do would easily pay the premium for twice the speed and 8x the buffer. Hell Auto AF fine tune would be worth it to me with the amount of time I spend testing/calibrating/confirming fine tune.

There's always a segment of people who want to be on the cutting edge. I think the 200-frame RAW buffer, in 14-bit capture mode, could be a huge positive for people who want to keep shooting when important action actually is happening in front of the camera...coastalconn's osprey dives, fish-capture action, and then subsequent take-off and fly-off with the captured fish: there's a really great example of when a 200-frame, full bit depth buffer (200 shots!) could be of HUGE value.
Ironically I got so many great images with the D7100 and the tiny buffer of those Osprey series. Even the Osprey series don't need that big of a buffer. I can only think of a few times I would have wanted a 10 second buffer like when and Osprey dives and grab a fish and all of a sudden an Eagle or Gull appears out of no where and grabs the fish from an Osprey.
Oh, and the Hawks from this thread George Jr. was really showing off today. | Photography Forum (the first 5) Really only needed a second or two of buffer and those are the shots that you are much less likely to get on a D7200 because it is all about 10 frames in that second. of course just my humble opinion

i-5hPvzdT-S.jpg

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just pre-ordered mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, you didnt wait too long did you :)

Only about five years!!!!!
You can't take the grin off my face - very happy camper here!!!!!!

The D500 is clearly not made for someone starting out. It is a very specific set of specs that are geared towards me to make me switch back :)
Ok now you left me guessing, are coming back to where everybody is happy and we are all friends ?
Are coming back to Nikon ?

i-5hPvzdT-S.jpg

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just pre-ordered mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, you didnt wait too long did you :)

Only about five years!!!!!
You can't take the grin off my face - very happy camper here!!!!!!

I used to own up to about a year ago the Nikon D7100, wonderful camera but I wanted something with better low light capability.
The D610/D600 was never what I really wanted because of its AF system, I had the 51 AF points already on the D7100 and I just didnt want to go down to the 39AF point of the D610

When the D750 was announced it was just like the D500, it was completly unxcpected and when I saw the specs I knew this was the camera I wanted!!!
I was one of the first people in Canada to own it, driving home from Best Buy was the longest drive in my life, I wanted to open that box and play wth my new baby.
Man I was excited and I still love my baby, I have a feeling you will be just as excited and will love the D500 just as much as I love my baby.
Its nice to know you have the best camera in your style of photography.

Happy Days, please keep us informed once you get it, how you like the new toy and post some pictures :)

The D500 is clearly not made for someone starting out. It is a very specific set of specs that are geared towards me to make me switch back :)
Ok now you left me guessing, are coming back to where everybody is happy and we are all friends ?
Not yet.. I'm actually about to send my 7dm2 back to Canon for the third time to see if they can fix the AF tracking since it sucks. I had a much higher keeper rate with the D7100 and Tamron 150-600 than I do with the 7dm2 and 500 f4.. Somethings not right.. I do really like the 1d4 even though it is dated. It at least nails focus..

Not yet.. I'm actually about to send my 7dm2 back to Canon for the third time to see if they can fix the AF tracking since it sucks. I had a much higher keeper rate with the D7100 and Tamron 150-600 than I do with the 7dm2 and 500 f4.. Somethings not right.. I do really like the 1d4 even though it is dated. It at least nails focus..

Well we are all brothes here in photography land, Canon, Nikon we are all brothers, we like to fight and say our toys are betters but the truth is that if you have the skills it makes very little difference and if you are not good the best DR, AF or low light performance will not really help LOL

I hope you will solve you problem with the 7D II and if you will come back to the Jedi side I will be the first one to say "Welcome Back" ;)

Get the d500

Shooting Impressions: On Assignment With The Nikon D500 and SB-5000 - Photography Gear - ishootshows.com

Music photographer Todd Owyoung's impressions of the D500 and the SB 5000 flash….you know, from a guy that has actually SHOT the new camera and shot the brand-new radio-controllable SB 5000 speedlight…the speedlight with the micro-blower cooling system allowing up to 100 continuous full-power flashes to be fired…

Side by side comparison of the D500's features against the 15 month-old Canon 7D Mark II. The Canon has an impressive 31-frame RAW buffer. The new Nikon's 200-frame buffer seems just a wee bit larger, aye laddie?
Nikon D500 vs Canon 7D Mark II

Eleven Things You Need to Know About the New Nikon D500
11 Things You Need to Know About the New Nikon D500

Ummmmm....yeah...

Shooting Impressions: On Assignment With The Nikon D500 and SB-5000 - Photography Gear - ishootshows.com

Music photographer Todd Owyoung's impressions of the D500 and the SB 5000 flash….you know, from a guy that has actually SHOT the new camera and shot the brand-new radio-controllable SB 5000 speedlight…the speedlight with the micro-blower cooling system allowing up to 100 continuous full-power flashes to be fired…

Side by side comparison of the D500's features against the 15 month-old Canon 7D Mark II. The Canon has an impressive 31-frame RAW buffer. The new Nikon's 200-frame buffer seems just a wee bit larger, aye laddie?
Nikon D500 vs Canon 7D Mark II

Eleven Things You Need to Know About the New Nikon D500
11 Things You Need to Know About the New Nikon D500

Ummmmm....yeah...
Honestly I am getting mroe and more impressed by this camera, I really like the Auto AF Fine Tune, WOW, this is an amazing feature!!!

If this camera came in FX with even better low light performance then my D750 and would be around the 3K$ price range I would have VERY hard time to say no to that.
VERY HARD!

... ...If this camera came in FX with even better low light performance then my D750 and would be around the 3K$ price range I would have VERY hard time to say no to that.
VERY HARD!

When I placed my pre-order, the store rep said they are expecting the price to be $2999 Australian (which is about $2120 US). He said the price may be higher/lower but that's the ballpark figure they are using at the moment.

We've reached the point of what some observers call "sufficiency" in the mid- and higher-level cameras, for the needs of most people, for most of their photographic needs. But there still exists at least some segment of the camera-buying population that wants to have a camera, or a camera/lens pairing that brings as many advantages and capabilities as is possible.

I remember the time when Nikon pro cameras had 2.7 megapixel sensors. I bought both models, the D1 and D1h, used, and they were good cameras in their era, but the D2 series had vastly improved autofocusing capabilities, and an extraordinarily better, smaller, lighte battery, one that could shoot 3,500 frames, or more on a single charge: the D1 cameras were huge battery hogs, and you needed three batteries per day to be safe.

There's always a segment of people who want to be on the cutting edge. I think the 200-frame RAW buffer, in 14-bit capture mode, could be a huge positive for people who want to keep shooting when important action actually is happening in front of the camera...coastalconn's osprey dives, fish-capture action, and then subsequent take-off and fly-off with the captured fish: there's a really great example of when a 200-frame, full bit depth buffer (200 shots!) could be of HUGE value.

I have been working on a 29-frame RAW buffer with the D2x since 2005, and a 29-frame buffer on the D3x since mid-2013...occasionally, I hit that buffer limit. For somebody who has been using say the D7100 for wildlife--that camera gives what is it in full raw mode? ONE second's worth of firing? The D7200 is better....but again...it's a high-level consumer body, with all that entails. I agree, for most people a D5 or D500 is overkill, but there are also people who'll get some good use out a D5 or a D500..

The higher-level cameras serve as halo products, as statements of capability for the camera makers, that is also a factor. The leapfrogging must continue!
I shot sports for years with original Canon 1D,1Dmk2 and mk3 and never ran into buffer problems, 200 shots is just for bragging points

Hi, Nikon D750 has also good features and easy to use but If you really want to purchase D500 or D400, I heard that D500 will be released sometime by March, 2016. By the way, I've read that D4oo price is near to D700 and D800 if I'm not mistaken.

Hi, Nikon D750 has also good features and easy to use but If you really want to purchase D500 or D400, I heard that D500 will be released sometime by March, 2016. By the way, I've read that D4oo price is near to D700 and D800 if I'm not mistaken.

Yes thanks - I have already ordered it.
This thread was started a few days before the announcement - from post #22 on the discussion has moved to the D500

(and there is no D400 - so I'm not sure where you got that. Nikon have said they skipped the D400 name and called it a D500 to reflect the same architecture as the D5)

To be fair, you've linked to an article that was written back in March 2012. You may have found it on google but, just a tip, if I link to a page at all, I always check when it was written :)

If you'd gone to the home page of that site, you'd have probably brought up articles about the D500!

Most reactions

Back