Buyers Remorse D5100

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Last Thursday I purchased my D5100 and while I love this camera... based on my research I have come to the conclusion that the D7000 is a more cost efficient purchase. I payed $930 after tax for my D5100, where the D7000 would have been $1466 after tax. So for the extra $536 I get a better lens, and a better camera which I feel like I won't grow out of for a long time. Plus the fact that the body has an AF Motor giving me the ability to buy cheaper lenses or used ones with out focus motors making it more cost efficient (to my knowledge anyway). Having said that I do need your help on making this decision.

Should I return the D5100 for the D7000?
Is the 18-105mm lens a complete replacement of the 18-55mm?
Does the lack of HDR in the D7000 make a difference?

-Or-

Should I just stick with my D5100?
Would I even notice the difference in cameras?

I am taking photography classes in college that are dedicated to Photography Majors this coming fall and spring (Majoring in Comp Science) which is why I am thinking this way. I figure if I am going to learn all about the camera and how to use it maybe I should buy something that I won't grow out of.

Edit: I purchased the D7000 body.

Last edited:
The camera is expensive cause it's hot off the press. I just purchased the D5000 which was only $600. The functionality was the same and i felt I could sacrifice the steep price for the older model. If your willing to dish out an extra $500 to $600 I would just get the D7000.

The camera is expensive cause it's hot off the press. I just purchased the D5000 which was only $600. The functionality was the same and i felt I could sacrifice the steep price for the older model. If your willing to dish out an extra $500 to $600 I would just get the D7000.

Is it a worthy upgrade though? I want something that I won't outgrow for years. It doesn't have to be the D7000 either.

Get the D7k. It is well worth the $$.

p!nK

I just sold my D5000 for the D7000. Although I enjoyed my D5000, my new camera has better handling of low light, off-cam flash control, has the auto focus motor, 2 card slots, a battery that lasts forever, better viewfinder, bigger/clearer viewing screen, and a host of other stuff I enjoy. Plus instead of being lost in menu's there are button features and an LCD on top. I doubt you will regret the step up.

On a side note, I didn't buy the kit lens I can't comment on it. I did sell my 18-55mm with my D5000.

Four major points why I picked the D7000 over D5100.

1. 100% view finder.
2. Auto-focus motor (some of my lenses don't have focus motor).
3. Flash commander function.
4. Two SD card slots.

However, the D90 is closer to the D7000 and you can get it for cheaper.

I just sold my D5000 for the D7000. Although I enjoyed my D5000, my new camera has better handling of low light, off-cam flash control, has the auto focus motor, 2 card slots, a battery that lasts forever, better viewfinder, bigger/clearer viewing screen, and a host of other stuff I enjoy. Plus instead of being lost in menu's there are button features and an LCD on top. I doubt you will regret the step up.

On a side note, I didn't buy the kit lens I can't comment on it. I did sell my 18-55mm with my D5000.

Which lens did you pick up?

Three major points why I picked the D7000 over D5100.

1. 100% view finder.

The D90 body is only 800, should I have bought the D90 over the D5100?

Three major points why I picked the D7000 over D5100.

1. 100% view finder.

The D90 body is only 800, should I have bought the D90 over the D5100?

Then you'll lose the 100% view finder and it has only 1 SD card slot, among other features. So you'll have to decide for yourself if that's good enough.

Get the D7k. It is well worth the $$.

I'm figuring with the focus motor alone and the better lens it is worth the $530.

Maybe you should go to a camera shop and get a D7000 in your hands and see how it feels. In the end, the D7000 is obviously a better camera. Some stores will give you 15 to 30 days to return your camera. So return yours, get a D7000. You can always return the D7000 if your not happy with it.

The D5100 is all I need. I am happy with it. If I decide a few years down the road to get the D7000, or maybe D7100 :), I will just give the D5100 to my wife or resell it. DSLRs seem to hold their value pretty good.

It would be nice if I could have gotten the d7000. I'm broke so I have to start somewhere, and that's the d5000....I'll have my pro level in time....

I have and use the kit lens. I find it's a very convenient walking around lens and it nicely fills a gap in my other glass. That said, there is a lot of distortion in horizon shots taken at 18mm. Without Lightroom to correct it, I couldn't recommend the lens.

The D7000 body has been terrific and am a very happy camper. I upgraded from a D70s.

I have and use the kit lens. I find it's a very convenient walking around lens and it nicely fills a gap in my other glass. That said, there is a lot of distortion in horizon shots taken at 18mm. Without Lightroom to correct it, I couldn't recommend the lens.

The D7000 body has been terrific and am a very happy camper. I upgraded from a D70s.

Can't speak to the 18-55. For me, I like shooting more stuff at 105, so if I didn't have the kit lens, I'd resort to pulling out the 70-300 before grabbing an 18-55.

Most reactions

Back