Buyers Remorse D5100

I'd return it and buy the d7000.The lens options on the d7000 will open up a world of possibilities, it's not just the af motor, you can also use nikons older, and amazing, manual focus glass on the d7000 with full metering.

bigthumb.gif

I'd return it and buy the d7000.The lens options on the d7000 will open up a world of possibilities, it's not just the af motor, you can also use nikons older, and amazing, manual focus glass on the d7000 with full metering.

I already bought it lol.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I bought my D5100 a couple of weeks ago and so far, I love it. I also bought the 70-300VR (which was discounted by $200 since I bought it together w/ the camera. I also bought a 16-85mm and a 35mm 1.8 a week later (both are much better than the kit lens).

This is my first dslr and I'm also wondering if I should return the D5100 and get the D7000. The camera will be used for family and travel photos and IQ is a priority. The D5100 seemed like the ideal choice since it has the IQ of the D7000. I'd be willing to pay a little more for the 7000, but only if there's a real benefit. Dslrs seem to have a a useful life of, maybe, 4-5 years before you'll want to upgrade due to tech advances (film slr's used to last forever). I always buy inexpensive laptops for this reason and this logic also applies to dslrs, to a degree.

In comparing the two. the D5100's lighter weight and smaller body is good for travel, and the swing out display can be useful.

The D7000's larger viewfinder would be great.

More autofocus points and faster burst speed are probably moderately useful at best.

AF fine tuning - could be useful if any lenses are miscalibrated (my current lenses seem fine).

Extra buttons. This would be nice. OTOH, I'm already used to the 5100's settings and can change things pretty quickly. I have the Fn set to ISO, which is just like having an ISO button.

Built in AF motor - I doubt I'll be buying more lenses, except for maybe a Tokina 11-16 or 12-24. So, this would only be of value only if I get the 11-16, or another ultra wide with no motor of its own.

Magnesium body and weather sealing - nice to have, but the likely benefit, given my needs, is just having a camera that feels like it's of higher quality, which it is.

Flash commander capability - not of much use to me, as most of my photos are outdoors or can be handled by a single camera-mounted speedlight.

So, right now, I'm thinking it makes sense to stick with the 5100. If I were an aspiring pro, sure, the 7000 is the way to go. For an average user though, there's less of a benefit. I don't want to "cheap out" and regret it later. If I've missed any good reasons to go for the 7000, please chime in.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I bought my D5100 a couple of weeks ago and so far, I love it. I also bought the 70-300VR (which was discounted by $200 since I bought it together w/ the camera. I also bought a 16-85mm and a 35mm 1.8 a week later (both are much better than the kit lens).

This is my first dslr and I'm also wondering if I should return the D5100 and get the D7000. The camera will be used for family and travel photos and IQ is a priority. The D5100 seemed like the ideal choice since it has the IQ of the D7000. I'd be willing to pay a little more for the 7000, but only if there's a real benefit. Dslrs seem to have a a useful life of, maybe, 4-5 years before you'll want to upgrade due to tech advances (film slr's used to last forever). I always buy inexpensive laptops for this reason and this logic also applies to dslrs, to a degree.

In comparing the two. the D5100's lighter weight and smaller body is good for travel, and the swing out display can be useful.

The D7000's larger viewfinder would be great.

More autofocus points and faster burst speed are probably moderately useful at best.

AF fine tuning - could be useful if any lenses are miscalibrated (my current lenses seem fine).

Extra buttons. This would be nice. OTOH, I'm already used to the 5100's settings and can change things pretty quickly. I have the Fn set to ISO, which is just like having an ISO button.

Built in AF motor - I doubt I'll be buying more lenses, except for maybe a Tokina 11-16 or 12-24. So, this would only be of value only if I get the 11-16, or another ultra wide with no motor of its own.

Magnesium body and weather sealing - nice to have, but the likely benefit, given my needs, is just having a camera that feels like it's of higher quality, which it is.

Flash commander capability - not of much use to me, as most of my photos are outdoors or can be handled by a single camera-mounted speedlight.

So, right now, I'm thinking it makes sense to stick with the 5100. If I were an aspiring pro, sure, the 7000 is the way to go. For an average user though, there's less of a benefit. I don't want to "cheap out" and regret it later. If I've missed any good reasons to go for the 7000, please chime in.

Since you already bought lenses, obviously there is no point in buying a D7000.

But Heres why I returned the D5100 and bought a D7000.

I paid 943 for the D5100 kit. (On sale so Bestbuy coupon I had would not work)
I paid 1147 for the D7000 body. (Bestbuy coupon)

After a 50mm 1.8D (refurbished) The D7000 comes to 1255.
After a 50mm 1.8G(refurb not available) the D5100 comes to 1190.
After an 18-55mm (refurb) the D7000 comes to 1350.

So just with the AF motor in the body alone... The D7000 cost me only 160 more. (prices are after tax where applicable).

So for $200 +/- more depending on your area, the D7000 not only is the better option, but makes the D5100 seem over priced.

The size comparison is negligible to me. But this is relative to the person. The extra 200 grams didn't really make a difference to me nor did the extra 2cm.

Obviously the D7000 isn't the camera for you. But it seems like you minimize and oversimplify the usefulness of the options the upgraded camera has, to make your choice make more sense. I don't know, just seems a bit biased to me. I will say however, that maybe a D3100 seems like it would have suited you just as fine and you could save a lot of money.

I am not an aspiring pro, and what the D7000 does is what I need. My 2 cents.

"Obviously the D7000 isn't the camera for you. But it seems like you minimize and oversimplify the usefulness of the options the upgraded camera has, to make your choice make more sense."

+1 to Ballistics! as that is the impression I got from it. And for me the found the exact opposite. As Bigger & Brighter Viewfinder makes it easier to compose a shot. Now with dedicated controls can make changes on the fly without my eye leaving the viewfinder to have to menu dig missing the shot. And yes faster AF is more significant than credit was given for all kinds of subjects. And built in motor and metering Ai or Ais or fine-tune lenses a great feature to have. 4 years now and have had many lenses and few I foresaw when I started in photography. And grew out of my entry camera less than a year. So always recommend one to grow into instead of out of.

If it works for you mark755 and you are happy with it. Then great and hope it keeps you click'in! But for many I see them returning or selling their entry cams first year due to lack of features & controls of the more capable cameras.

Guys, I wasn't trying to downplay the value of the 7000's features. I just meant that those features might not be that useful to me. I just read KR's reviews of both cameras and I'm now leaning more towards the D7000, as he pointed out some of the subtleties not mentioned in other reviews. It's a good camera to grow into, even though I might not use all of the features. The bigger viewfinder, better AF system and build quality probably justify the $350 price difference. And if I ever want to get more prime lenses, the old Nikkors are superior to today's DX lenses, not to mention cheaper.

I've never read about anyone regretting buying a camera more advanced than their experience level...it's always that they outgrew a camera too quickly.

Last edited:
Guys, I wasn't trying to downplay the value of the 7000's features. I just meant that those features might not be that useful to me. I just read KR's reviews of both cameras and I'm now leaning more towards the D7000, as he pointed out some of the subtleties not mentioned in other reviews. It's a good camera to grow into, even though I might not use all of the features. The bigger viewfinder, better AF system and build quality probably justify the $350 price difference. And if I ever want to get more prime lenses, the old Nikkors are superior to today's DX lenses, not to mention cheaper.

I've never read about anyone regretting buying a camera more advanced than their experience level...it's always that they outgrew a camera too quickly.

Don't get me wrong, as I have said in this thread multiple times, the D5100 is a GREAT camera. BUT, It is not priced properly IMHO. In the 2 weeks that I had it, I learned a truck load. But I also learned that I would out grow it in a matter of months.

If you arent in need of the AF system then stick with the D5100. But just for the fact that I am picking up the 50mm prime lens - makes the extra features and the AF motor beyond worth it. 1 more AF lens and the D7000 becomes cheaper to own and completely makes the D5100 obsolete.

If you are having buyer's remorse today...think about how much "pain" you'll be feeling in a month (once the return period ends). Go get the D7000!

To mark755...you'd have the D7000 with a heck of a set of lenses.

WARNING: I have a reputation for emjoying spending other peoples' money.

Thanks guys. While the 7000 is tempting. I've decided to keep my 5000. It meets my needs for the foreseeable future and I don't think I'll outgrow it within the next 3-4 years. If I do, I'll give it to a family member and upgrade to a D7200, D400 or whatever. I'll also be traveling and hiking with it and the D5100's weight and size matter more to me. I can use the money saved to buy an ultrawide or a flash.

If you are having buyer's remorse today...think about how much "pain" you'll be feeling in a month (once the return period ends). Go get the D7000!

To mark755...you'd have the D7000 with a heck of a set of lenses.

WARNING: I have a reputation for emjoying spending other peoples' money.

Read the very bottom of the first post. :p

If I remember correctly the LCD was attached well. I think you could also flip the screen around and 'close' it so I looks just like the fixed screen on other cameras. Another cool feature of the flip out screen is that if it is closed while the screen is facing you the back acts as a shield to protect the screen.

I saw that as well and thought it's a great idea except...my understanding is that you must go through menu options to make some setting changes, which means you must rotate the screen back around everytime you wanted to make those changes. The menu to change settings is what makes me consider the D90 over the D5100 (don't think I can quite justify the cost of D7000 at this point, although I have done it many times in my mind! Getting into DSLR has been the greatest budget creep I've ever experienced!)

If I remember correctly the LCD was attached well. I think you could also flip the screen around and 'close' it so I looks just like the fixed screen on other cameras. Another cool feature of the flip out screen is that if it is closed while the screen is facing you the back acts as a shield to protect the screen.

I saw that as well and thought it's a great idea except...my understanding is that you must go through menu options to make some setting changes, which means you must rotate the screen back around everytime you wanted to make those changes. The menu to change settings is what makes me consider the D90 over the D5100 (don't think I can quite justify the cost of D7000 at this point, although I have done it many times in my mind! Getting into DSLR has been the greatest budget creep I've ever experienced!)

I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean. Are you saying that when open, the LCD screen cannot utilize certain options? Because if so, that isn't the case at all. The LCD works the same in every angle. Also, as I have stated, once lenses come into play... the D5100 becomes the obsolete and more expensive option.

I think he is saying that he likes the feature of being able to put the screen facing inwards to protect it, but not the idea of having to pull it out every time he wants to change a setting.

I think he is saying that he likes the feature of being able to put the screen facing inwards to protect it, but not the idea of having to pull it out every time he wants to change a setting.

Ohhh yeah that would be the case, however, you can open it like a book so you don't have to flip it. I just kept it that way for that purpose.

I realize that this is an old thread but it is very relevant to me as I just purchased the D5100 at the beginning of July and ordered the D7000 last night. I am about two weeks past the return option but I finally accepted the fact that the D7000 is a better choice for me. Having said that I must emphasize that this is purely a personal preference and I love the D5100. As an advanced amateur/enthusiast it did not take long for me to realize the limitations imposed by having to delve into the menu to overide some settings, especially in bright outdoor light. My plan is to use both cameras and decide later whether to keep them both or sell the D5100. And no, this is definitely outside of my intended budget but I believe that both cameras will hold their value for the forseable future and I need to determine if there are any situations where the D5100 may be more convenient. BTW, My first camera was a flea market, screw mount Pentax 35mm and I used slide film to hone my skills so I realize the folly of trying to save few bucks especially since I do own a few older Nikon lenses. Again, I love the D5100 so I expect that I will love the D7000 even more. Its just a matter of where you are in your photographic journey and how you use or would like to use your camera. Some people just want good pictures, some want to push the limits of their equipment. I tend to fall into the later category.

Most reactions

Back