Buying 3rd party non-TTL External Flashes - Fine?

DepthOfFocus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All

My Nikon SB600 is on it's last legs and looking for a replacement. I'm probably gonna go with a SB700/800 as my main on-camera flash.
However I'm also looking into using off-camera speedlights a lot more often.

Since I'm on a budget, I was thinking about purchasing a couple 3rd party manual non-TTL flashes off ebay for really cheap. It seems that the only advantage with the higher end ones are the TTL and advanced options which are mainly fluff. All I really need to set set the flash power manually and that's it.

Thoughts?

That will certainly be less expensive. Do you have remote flash triggers?

I would go with Yongnuo 560-III's

First, depending upon your body, if it has commander mode via the popup, you can put your new SB700/800 off-camera. That's usually how I roll when I'm using multiple speed lights.

And I've got a couple of YN-460s and a YN-560. While I have triggers for them, I usually just set them to slave mode and have them provide backlighting or fill. Only problem I've ever had is when some batteries corroded (that I had stupidly left in a YN-460) and ruined it after a year. Otherwise, I've got lots of praise for Yong Nuos.

Hi All

My Nikon SB600 is on it's last legs and looking for a replacement. I'm probably gonna go with a SB700/800 as my main on-camera flash.
However I'm also looking into using off-camera speedlights a lot more often.

Since I'm on a budget, I was thinking about purchasing a couple 3rd party manual non-TTL flashes off ebay for really cheap. It seems that the only advantage with the higher end ones are the TTL and advanced options which are mainly fluff. All I really need to set set the flash power manually and that's it.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Oh yes, purchase a third party flash and you will burn in the eternal fires of Hell.

Ok, no, not really - I can't really back that up.. lol.

Actually I use a Yongnuo myself for those rare occasions when I need a flash, does the job admirably.

I also use two Yong Nuos 560 and 560 iii, I haven't had any problems with any of them so far and I have had my older one the YN 560 for over two years now...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back