Buying a Canon

cherrymoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this, so feel free to move it if needed.

Would buying this be a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-AE-1-PROG...QQihZ011QQcategoryZ107919QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm looking for an old, good quality, cheap film-camera, and someone recommend the Canon AE-1 to me. Has anyone had any experience with them, or does anyone think that the whole package would be a good deal for $90? Should I trust that the camera is in good condition?

Thanks.
-Emma

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A friend of mine had the AE1 and she let me borrow it. I didn't like it. It seemed too fragile and the mirror jammed quite a bit. That just might've been hers, though, and not a very good representitive of AE1s in general.

Might I suggest the Pentax K1000? They're built like a tank, produce great pictures, plentiful, and cheap.

The AE-1 and AE-1 Program are good, the A1 is much better built though. There are great old manual focus Canon (FD) lenses available for very little money. The only problem is that with an FD lens system you won't be able to use the lenses on a newer, autofocus Canon SLR or dSLR. Of course that's part of the reason the FD gear is now so cheap, so if you don't intend to go for an autofocus SLR or dSLR system any time soon it's a good way to go.

As for these particular auctions, I'm sure they're ok... but not especially amazing value. Film SLRs have dropped in price to an incredible degree, and you can regularly pick up great quality cameras for that price in a store, and usually much less on eBay. The second auction may appear to have a lot, but many of the lenses seem less than great (particularly the zooms). You can pick up similar cameras and lenses, probably in better condition, for $90 any day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back