Buying a DSLR on Ebay...advice?

vivalavieboheme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I'm currently shooting on a Panasonic DMC-FP1, a point-and-shoot that takes OK pictures, but it was all my dad would buy me at the time. I'm a poor college student, and much of the money I do have goes to participating in clubs, food, clothes, and other stuff I need. I really want a better camera, like a DSLR, but I can't afford to pay $500 and up for one. My parents won't buy me one, especially when my dorm TV is going to cost less than one of these. So I was thinking Ebay. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on buying cameras on Ebay - have you done it/would you recommend it? What to look for? What are signs you shouldn't buy that camera? And any DSLR models you'd recommend, if I can find those on Ebay? Thanks!

Here in the UK, the Buy Now transactions are covered by Distance Selling law which entitles the buyer to decline and return the goods within seven days of receipt and get a refund. Different in the US?

I never bought anything from eBay for over £100, use Paypal it's highly recommended so you can refund if the product is not as described or it doesn't arrived etc.

You may want to post your $$$ range so folks can give you a reasonable goal to reach.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Just make sure you buy from a seller w/ good feedback.

Good Luck

Well, for less than $500, even a 30D body will be about $300. I bought a 10D body for my son a couple years ago for $150. Once you get going, you need lenses, then a flash etc. So you may want to consider how much you really need a dslr now.

I have purchased and sold cameras via ebay and the advice to stick with highly rated sellers is a good one. I would also watch out for someone with a good percentage, but very low transaction rate unless they have good comments regarding expensive items.

It always makes me feel better when there are pictures of the ACTUAL item, rather than a stock photo. I haven't had any problems with Ebay yet, though, so I think you should be fine as long as you're smart about it.

Good suggestions, I'll see what I can come up with. Another reason I was thinking Ebay was so I could also afford lenses, flash, accessories if I want to in the future.

Ask for shutter count so u get an idea of how often it's been used. And like already suggested.... Check seller feedback and Pay through paypal. Easier to track and sort out should anything go wrong.

If you want a cheap DSLR, look for a sony entry level camera with lens. You can buy old fast minolta lenses too.

Bought both of mine on Ebay and i do lots of shopping there. Lots of good deals. You need to learn how it works. Buying from sellers with lots of good feedbacks is how i buy. Buying from new sellers or people with low feedback or people with too many bad feedbacks is asking for trouble. Also as mentioned, if you use paypal to pay for the item it's guarnteed to get your money back if it's not what the seller listed. I mostly use the "Buy it now" option", saves alot of time from having to bid and then at the end getting outbid. Good luck...

You may also want to take a look at the used departments at B&H, Adorama, and the like. I just skimmed through the used Nikons and Canons at B&H and they have some pretty decent used models at reasonable prices under the $500 range. Just a thought because there's less uncertainty with that option and possbily easier returns with less hassle. I've had successful and less than satisfying transactions on eBay - it can be done you just have to do your homework.

Infinite_Day, good suggestions on B&H and Adorama! Definitely checking them out.

Most reactions

Back