Buying a lens for portrait

atseeyob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I am buying Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens because I start people photography class and my instructor advised us to have a lens with a larger aperture. It is only $75 in amazon.com. Any comment on this lens will be great.

Great, sharp, inexpensive portrait lens on a cropped chip DSLR. Can't buy anything sharper for the money.

I have one and its really my favorite, I use it all the time

Ditto.
I use mine for portraits often, and it gives great sharp pictures, with a small DOF great for the look most are after. I love it.

Oh, and it weighs about as much as 5 quarters...lmfao

Thank you as usual.........I guess I am comfortable to go ahead and order.

Does it ever get annoying not being able to zoom in? I find myself using the zooming capabilities of my camera quite a lot. I guess it depends on what you shoot...

I don't have this lens, but I am considering it the moment I pay off my credit card.

My understanding is that the lens is used mainly for portraits and close-up (macro) photography. Its selling point is really its huge aperature, not its zoom. Also, since it lacks zoom, it is easy to make it so that it always gives crystal-clear image without any optical defects.

My impression is that zoom lens are the multipurpose tools - they do a lot of things, but aren't especially good at anything in particular. This one isn't a multipurpose one - it does one or two things, but it does them really well.

You can of course find a lens that has similar apperture to the one being discussed AND has zoom as well, but I will be surprised if you find it below $1,000 and it will be heavier than most textbooks.

Yeti,
This lens would not be good for Macro, as it is not a true macro lens.

This is a Prime lens, meaning no zoom. Because of that you have to actually do some work and walk around to frame the subject that you are shooting. This has a great aperture and is pretty dang sharp...especially for less then $100. Try and get the Mk I model instead of the Mk II model. The Mk I is actually better, they took a step back with Mk II by making the entire thing plastic...even the mount. Also the Mk I has mode aperture blades, giving you a more pleasant bokeh (background out of focus blur).

I really like that it doesnt soom. I dont really like using zoom too much. The quality is lesser wwith the zoom I think and I think it makes you pay more attention to how you are composing your shot if you cant just pull in tight. I put a zoom on when I really need it but it isnt often.

One learns new things every day. :)

I don't have this lens, but I am considering it the moment I pay off my credit card.

My understanding is that the lens is used mainly for portraits and close-up (macro) photography. Its selling point is really its huge aperature, not its zoom. Also, since it lacks zoom, it is easy to make it so that it always gives crystal-clear image without any optical defects.

My impression is that zoom lens are the multipurpose tools - they do a lot of things, but aren't especially good at anything in particular. This one isn't a multipurpose one - it does one or two things, but it does them really well.

You can of course find a lens that has similar apperture to the one being discussed AND has zoom as well, but I will be surprised if you find it below $1,000 and it will be heavier than most textbooks.

That makes a lot of sense. Since it doesn't have to switch focal lengths, it is simpler and doesn't need as many parts. This allows them to build it better and smaller at a cheaper price. I haven't used the lens itself so I don't know what the image quality is like with it but I'm surprised a $70 lens has an aperture range of f/1.8 - f/22.

A Canon Rebel XTI body and a lens like this is probably what I'll get when I upgrade to DSLR.

wow nice lens and nice price! thanks for letting us know about this. does anyone know if it will work with Rebel XT?

Does it ever get annoying not being able to zoom in? I find myself using the zooming capabilities of my camera quite a lot. I guess it depends on what you shoot...

Just put your left foot about 3 feet in front of your right one and lean forward. Works great! :mrgreen:

Does anyone know if it will work with Rebel XT?

I don't own a rebel or this lens but according to wikipedia, an EF lens (such as this one) is compatible with any EOS camera. I believe all of the rebels are EOS and are compatible with this lens. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back