Buying a new lens. need recommendations

tmurphy0828

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I have a Nikon D5100 and now that Ive been shooting photos and learning for a couple months I want to go ahead and get some lenses and other gear. I'm looking to get a 70-300mm and my budget is 500-600 dollars. If some of you guys could recommend a few different lenses for me to check out that would be awesome

I guess it depends on what you're shooting but The Nikon 70-300 VR/VRII is a nice lens from what I've seen and read. You can pick up a used or refurbished unit around $350. Again it depend on what you're shooting but everyone can use a Nifty Fifty. You can pick p a used 50mm 1.8d for $75-90. If you plan to shoot landscapes/cityscapes, you probably want to pick up a wide angle. Nikon makes a 12-24mm F4 for about $750 used/refurbished or check out a Tokina 11-16 2.8 which works nicely and run around $550.

I guess it depends on what you're shooting but The Nikon 70-300 VR/VRII is a nice lens from what I've seen and read. You can pick up a used or refurbished unit around $350. Again it depend on what you're shooting but everyone can use a Nifty Fifty. You can pick p a used 50mm 1.8d for $75-90. If you plan to shoot landscapes/cityscapes, you probably want to pick up a wide angle. Nikon makes a 12-24mm F4 for about $750 used/refurbished or check out a Tokina 11-16 2.8 which works nicely and run around $550.
Awesome! thanks! and really Im still figuring out the things I really want to shoot so im just doing a lot of experimenting and I want to try different lenses so I figured it cant hurt to get a few and try each one. I think Im going to pick up a 50mm 1.8d and the Nikon 70-300 VR/VRII. the wide angle will have to wait a couple more pay checks haha. Any specific brand recommendations besides the Nikon model?

Awesome! thanks! and really Im still figuring out the things I really want to shoot so im just doing a lot of experimenting and I want to try different lenses so I figured it cant hurt to get a few and try each one. I think Im going to pick up a 50mm 1.8d and the Nikon 70-300 VR/VRII. the wide angle will have to wait a couple more pay checks haha. Any specific brand recommendations besides the Nikon model?

Sure, don't forget you can cut cost a little buying used or Refurbished. Also, you may wanna look into renting different lenses before buying. I rented a Tokina 11-16 2.8 over the July 4th holiday and had a blast.

Most reactions

Back