Buying a new lens, please help! (Amateur in need to serious guidance)

iOwen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[h=2]Need Help Buying a New Lens.... PLEASE HELP! :)[/h]
Hey! I am a amateur photographer deciding on a new lens to get for Christmas, I was looking for a telephoto because it is better (in my amateur opinion) for a more all around use, compared to a macro, which would limit me more. I am currently shooting on a Nikon D5100 with the stock 18-55mm. What do you guys and gals think of this one?

AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED from Nikon

PS My budget is around that price, if however there is a considerably better lens for around $100 more please let me know! As well, if a cheeper option is better!

Owen​

Owen,

I also am fairly new to photography and have bought and sold a few lenses trying to figure out what I like. If I were you, I would sell the 18-55mm to add a little more to your lens fund. If your budget is around $200 than I think the 18-70mm lens is one of the best deals going. It is a sharp lens with a quick autofocus, and generally better build quality than current kit lenses. For a little more you could get a nice 18-105mm (I have this lens now and it is quite nice for the money). If you could swing $500, than a used 16-85mm VRII is one of the nicest lenses I have owned. I sold mine, but find myself wanting to pick up another. The extra 2mm on the wide end and the extra legth on the long end make for a very convenient "walkaround" lens.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Thank you so much! I think im going to take your advice, sell the stock, and pick up the 18-105 cause its more multi use. Cant wait to get into a new lens!

Happy Holidays!

If you're looking for to had some reach I'd say get the VR version. It's seriously worth the money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back