afliegs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD

OR

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

I'm in the market for a new lens. I want a walk-around lens that is great for all situations. So, in the $1500 price range, I'm looking for the best walk-around fixed-apperture zoom lens (one that takes pictures that are close to a good Prime Lens caliber photos). I was very close to buying the Canon 24-70 (that one that is out now). However, I waited just one week too long and the price jumped up about $250, I guess because of the new Canon 24-70 lens coming out. So, I did some more research and found a brand new Tamrom 24-70 lens that just came out.

Has anybody gotten the new Tamron lens yet?

Also, any thoughts on buying the SageMax Protection plan that B&H offers (mainly for the accidental damage coverage)?

FYI, the Tamron lens is $1299 and the Canon is $1599.

Thanks!

I'd like to hear thoughts n this also. Doubt many if any have the Tamron, but would love to hear from anyone who,has. I did read a favorable write up on the Tamron. Does it come down to name brand loyalty? Peer pressure? Self confidence?

Lowrider said:
I'd like to hear thoughts n this also. Doubt many if any have the Tamron, but would love to hear from anyone who,has. I did read a favorable write up on the Tamron. Does it come down to name brand loyalty? Peer pressure? Self confidence?

As a rule o thumb tamron and sigma tend to be 80-90% of the quality of brand ne at 50% the price. I don't have this specific lens but remember someone here does and strongly recommends it.

http://www.thatnikonguy.com he recently did an in depth review of the canon, nikon, sigma and tamron 24-70 new lenses. Give it a go -- Because of the vibration stabilization of the tamron- it has some advantages. The quality of image -- very close

Do you need it to be f2.8. I recently read a direct comparison between the 24-70 2.8 and the and the 24-105 f4 IS and this particular review rated the latter higher as a walk around lens for sharpness, range and IS, also its cheaper, but you do lose the 2.8 edge

L glass all the way. I don't know much about tamron but you can never go wrong with L glass. They're really durable and reliable too. The quality is through the roof too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back