Buying a new lens....

Stacey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a new lens for my DSLR. I have a Pentax K100D and I mainly like to do portrait photography but really want to get into doing some sort of landscape photography as well. I am looking at a Pentax Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto SMCP-FA 28-105mm f/4-5.6 IF Autofocucus Lens from B & H. It is between that an a Zoom Telephoto AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF. I have a 28-80mm lens that I love and the 18-55 mm kit lens that came with my camera (that I don't love)....If anyone could help me and let me know some pros/cons of the lenses..I'd really appreciate it.....I was even toying with the idea of buying a completely different DSLR (like a Canon or Nikon) where the digital lenses were cheaper because Pentax is so darn expensive...grrrr.....

I mainly like to do portrait photography but really want to get into doing some sort of landscape photography as well.

Most of us use the dslr for that really for starter.

I have a 28-80mm lens that I love

That is long enough for portrait, even I used the long end (55mm) of my kit lens, works good enough for me.

and the 18-55 mm kit lens that came with my camera (that I don't love)

And you use this for your landscape photography, it suffice to do the job.

I was even toying with the idea of buying a completely different DSLR (like a Canon or Nikon)

Not good idea. Don't be too carried away by other people opinions. Be happy with what you have, master it until it does exactly the way you want it to be, no excuses. And one day we will see your pictures here. Do we have a deal?

Cant you use old film pentex lenses? If so im sure you could find some second hand for cheap.

I think I am confused by your answer. I'm looking for the benefits of each lens. As I already hae a 28-70mm is it a bit pointless to get a 28-105mm and just go with the 70-300mm? Also, Passerby, I wasn't being swayed by other people's opinions in wanting a new camera; it's just that the lenses/accessories are cheaper and there is more help out there for more well-known brands such as Canon & Nikon. I'm not quite sure what you were talking about in regards to me posting my pictures here one day-I already have posted pictures on this forum so I'm slightly confused! :) At any rate, if anyone knows anything about those lenses and wants to throw in their opinions for me, I'd appreciate it! Thanks a bunch!

Cant you use old film pentex lenses? If so im sure you could find some second hand for cheap.

I'd rather just stay with the digital as I get confused with the conversion of film to digital measurements! It doesn't take much to confuse me! :lol:

Oh, I thought you were a newbie with uncontrollable spending spree but bought wrong camera or something like that you know.:lol:

Alright I am off the pentax case, I knew nothing of this mechine.

The Kit lens on your Pentax is , as far as kit lenses go, very highly rated, and if you learn it's strengths, you can take some very nice images with it ! Plus, it is plenty wide at 18 MM for your landscape needs. If you really want to replace it though, I have heard nothing but good things about the Sigma 17-70. And it is pretty reasonably priced.

Hi Stacey;
I am also a Pentax user and have similar lenses like you have. Actually I like the kit lens 18-55mm and think that it is good enough, but of course I respect to your opinion about it. Actually all brand lenses like Canon Nikon and Pentax are expensive so there are other oppotunities like Tamron Tokina or Sigma which are cheaper and good enough. If you search enough these brands' offerings, I guess you will find good and competetive in price lenses compatible by Pentax which will satisfy your needs.
Best Regards:thumbup:

BTW I have the Nikon version of the Tamron 70-300 you are looking at and it takes fantastic pictures for the money.

I have the Pentax version of the Tamron 70-300 , and except for some purple fringing in high contrast areas, it takes nice images. Here are a few for ya..

This one was shot with the kit lens, to give you an idea of how far away from the field i was.

545150754_d7c1207607_o.jpg

These are with the Tamron..

120 MM
545150712_a16c7094c2_o.jpg

300 MM
545148014_789c8e70c3_o.jpg

Stratman-

Thanks a mil for posting those pictures! I think that will be my next investment (the 70-300)! That and a lensbaby! I'm excited now to get them and start taking some pics! :mrgreen: Thanks again for your help!

NP Stacey, I hope you enjoy it, and it is even cheaper now than when I bought it, it really is a bargain. And the 6 year warranty is an added bonus.

Most reactions

Back