Buying a rather cheap SLR.

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a little over $300 to spend and I was looking at this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Silver-Camera-Deluxe-28-90mm/dp/B00004YZLV/sr=1-4/qid=1162867098/ref=sr_1_4/002-9849073-8146414?ie=UTF8&s=photo"]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Silver-Camera-Deluxe-28-90mm/dp/B00004YZLV/sr=1-4/qid=1162867098/ref=sr_1_4/002-9849073-8146414?ie=UTF8&s=photo[/ame]

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but you can move it if it isn't..

I love my Canon. Its not the same as what your looking at but you can't beat their cameras! Good luck! Let us know what you pick.

Those camera's go on ebay very cheap. I use Canon stuff and like it a lot. If looking for another film body at the cheap end of the market I'd probably go for the EOS 630. Apparently it was a true work horse of a camera, and can be picked up very cheaply these days. http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-630-2...yZ107919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For that sort of money you could buy a very high build quality second hand Canon body probably wiht a couple of good lenses.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What would be some good lenses?

it looks like a good camera to me. But let me weigh in with another idea.

For much less you can find a good used camera on E-bay. You could pick up a very nice body for around 175 which would leave you with quite a bit for a nice lens or two. Nikons Canons etc all made good camers and lens that can be found pretty cheap on E-Bay.
I personally would also suggest looking at Pentax Film Cameras, Back in the day before Canon was a big name, Pentax glass was second only to Nikon and then not by much. You can find pentax cameras on Ebay with a lens or two for around 150-175.
IF you want to know the quality of pentax glass, the 50mm f/1.2 they made for my camera in the 1970's still sells for around 300-500 dollars. B&H photo sells that lens for 500. So thats my 2 cents
either way though, that would be a good choice, but i would also look into some older SLR's on Ebay

Film stuff? I was wondering what would be a better buy. I mean, I like to know what I'm taking pictures of before I spend the money to print them. But, I do like film B&W photos. So...I don't know, I'm not trying to get into a film vs. digital war, because each has it's own pro's and con's, but on ebay a digital doesn't seem to go below $400...

oh, i was talking about film stuff..i mean the camera you are looking at and posted a link to is film...
my take on film vs digital is Digital does a wonderful job with color at any ISO setting and pretty much has the color market hands down. However, i still feel that color slide film has its place and i prefer that to digital. However, slide film is hard to use and limited in that they dont make too many fast slide films. As far as B&W pictures go, i feel that film will always beat out digital. for various reasons

Hmm. Well, for the money, film might be the way to go for me right now...seeing as that a digital camera isn't under $400, plus buying lenses will cost a lot...so over 1,000 or so right there, which I don't see myself coming into any time soon. I do know that devoloping film cost a lot and that buying in bulk is he way to go if I plan on taking a lot of pictures...I was wondering, if I go film, what lenses/filters should I buy? I want to do like night time stuff and stuff in dim light/long exposure shutter speed stuff. But, not exclusively, just that's what I would prefer to do...

If I were you I would look on www.keh.com. You'll find some older Canon's that offer more features, and are more robust, for cheaper than that. I would buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens (from that same site), and use that until you understand focal length. Then you'll know better what you need/want.

I recently bought a Canon EOS 650 in great shape for $25 US, and shortly after a Mint Elan 7 w power booster for $150. They're practically giving away great film cameras on Ebay! Like Matt said, you can find some great older film cameras with far superior build quality for alot less.

Digital Matt said:
If I were you I would look on www.keh.com. You'll find some older Canon's that offer more features, and are more robust, for cheaper than that. I would buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens (from that same site), and use that until you understand focal length. Then you'll know better what you need/want.

Thats a good way to learn basics such as walking instead of zooming, but theres no way you learn about focal lengths with a single prime lense. A cheap zoom will do a much better job teaching you what kind of focal length your style requires.

Yes, actually you can learn about focal lenghts with a 50mm lens. What did photographers do before zoom lenses? :p

If after using your 50mm lens for a few months you find that you want to include more of the scene in your frame, then you'll buy a wide angle lens. If you find that you are too far away from your subjects and want more magnification, then you'll buy a telephoto.

Digital Matt said:
Yes, actually you can learn about focal lenghts with a 50mm lens. What did photographers do before zoom lenses? :p

If after using your 50mm lens for a few months you find that you want to include more of the scene in your frame, then you'll buy a wide angle lens. If you find that you are too far away from your subjects and want more magnification, then you'll buy a telephoto.

Ok, so....the one I found is ok?

Most reactions

Back