Buying a tele lens

Optically, the 70-300 VR is far superior to the 55-200. I'd sell the 18-55 for whatever you can get for it, and I'd be hesitant to get rid of the 18-105, as it's a nice little walkaround lens that can be decently sharp, if you have good enough technique. It isn't the greatest lens in the world, but it isn't the worst, either, and the range of the 18-105 is pretty nice with no significant flaws. The 18-105 paired with the 70-300 is what my fiance uses for travel. I use the 16-85 with a 70-300. All in all, You just can't go wrong with the 70-300, unless of course you're vacationing in Alaska in the middle of winter where a f/2.8 or faster would be appreciated.

... However, make note that superzoom lenses, regardless of the brand, are quite popular because of their convenience.
In other words, many people value the convenience and accept the various IQ issues all superzoom lenses have because of all the design compromises that have to be made.

It's much like the argument of primes vs. zooms. Many people are willing to give up a slight amount of image quality for the convenience of a zoom lens. Personally I like my zoom lenses and will never go back to primes.

Well 70-200mm is way out of my league for now. I am just starting off. I did miss out on Nikon refurbished 70-300mm of their website for 269. I can always patiently wait. The cheapest I can find an used Nikon is $300 or should I get a refurbished Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD which has got really good reviews.
PS Do you think I could benefit from getting another prime for indoors like 85mm? Thanks everyone.

Re the 70-300mm as a good value, IMO it is if you can get it cheap, but at the same price or cheaper the Tamron 70-300mm is IMO a better lens and a better value. I've tried both (more than one of the Nikon). The Tamron is sharper at the longer end (300mm), IME significantly. It's also sharp throughout the entire range at largest aperture and very sharp if you stop down a bit. The only advantage of the nikon IMO is a slightly AF.I would get the Nikon only if it was (significantly) cheaper (here it is more expensive than the Tamron).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back