Buying a used camera lens

JoanneD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I have a Nikon D80 and I want to buy a Nikkor 28-200mm lens used, on ebay. I bought the camera on ebay and it was a great deal. All was fine with the camera and lens it came with. Someone took about 100 shots and brought it into a pawn shop. I am leery about buying a lens as I know that there can be scratches, dust and fungus, etc. It looks like it's in perfect condition in the auction and the seller has excellent feedback.

Has anyone here bought lenses through ebay? Are there any other sites where I can buy used lenses for a good price and have a guarantee that the lens is as advertised?

Thank you in advance!

Joanne

I prefer to buy my second-hand glass (most of lens collection) through Craig's List or similar 'sites where I can meet the seller and try before I buy. I have bought a few items sight unseen and never had a problem, but I've always made sure that I talked to the seller and had valid contact information before I parted with any money. A local used gear store is probably your best bet - try before you buy, and usually at least a 30 day guarentee.

I have purchased many lenses through ebay (and sold many).
Pay attention to the seller's history ... it will show you if their descriptions are accurate.
Always ask questions ... if they do not appear to know anything about photographic equipment, then buyer beware.

Ebay is a very good source, if you have a problem with a seller Ebay/paypal will refund every dime, including original shipping--you're just stuck paying the return shipping. Just make sure you buy items listed as working and it helps if the seller has a return policy--although ebay will force sellers to take returns of malfunctioning equipment if it was advertised as functioning.

KEH is also an excellent source.

for a cheaper lens like this I would say hold out and buy new. Used lens can be iffy.

i buy my used stuff localy. I like to try and test the used stuff i buy. i buy new crap all over the world on ebay and never had problem.

Most reactions

Back