Buying DSLR for the first time: Seeking advice

delon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello guys, I want to buy a DSLR and also like to get familiar with it. However, I am completely lost and not sure how to choose a good camera for a beginner like me. I googled and came across lots of resources. Though I am trying to do my research before spending my money, I believe that it will be helpful to get some advice/suggestion from the pros. My budget is about 600 dollars. One of my friends advised me to get a 2nd hand body and then buy a good lens.

I would appreciate if anyone can share his/her thoughts or share experience.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, nature, concert, parties, festival.. I also like to travel a lot and I can't get much out of the point and shoot camera. I am also into learning photography and get into technical details.

WIth a $600 budget, I think you'd be best off to get one of the Canon entry-level cameras. Which one is it, the T3, that's only $399 for the body??? I looked at it the other day at Fry's, and thought it was small,light, and pretty decent for the price. I have big hands, with long, slender fingers, and for MY own personal hand size, it felt tiny...too tiny...but, by the same token, it was also SUPER-compact and would be no problem at all to carry all day long...but yeah, the low-cost Canon T-series model + 18-55 or 18-135 zoom would be my idea of a good $600 entry to the d-slr game.

My basic advice has long been, "Just pull the trigger. Just simply BUY ONE, read the fine manual it is supplied with (RTFM), and then go straight to using and enjoying it" Do not worry too much about making the right decision. Buy whatever feels and handles well, and falls within your budget! Don't stress out on it too much.

First of all i would go with Nikon\Canon, they have the most options and there the most reliable to invest money in, if its body or lenses.
with 600$ you can get as your friend says a 'older' body like the Nikon D3100, or the Canon T3i with a 18-55 kit lenses (the Nikon 18-55 kit lens is known to be slightly better then the Canon 18-55 kit lens), depends on what feels better handling, try it in the shop, hold it in your hand, take a few pictures, take your time, don't get bullied by the salesmen.

If you can push the price lets say to 700$ you can get the new entry level DSLR from Nikon, the D3200 (it has a guide mode within the camera which is good for beginners), Canon didn't come out yet with a new entry level, but they will soon.

with 600$ you won't get a lense for EVERYTHING but the 18-55 will get you MOST of what you want to shoot at first, the telephoto lenses for wildlife and sports are relativly expensive and out of your budget...use the 18-55 until you can save for a better lense, say like to shoot in low light at night and stuff like that, you will probably need a prime lens which i usually recommend for folks after they use there kit lens for a while and want to upgrade, if there isn't enough zoom range, use your legs :).

For example when i bought my first DSLR 1 year ago (the Nikon D5100), i bought only a 35mm 1.8G prime. of course its not for everybody and most pepole that are starting out are more comfy with the 18-55, but folks said that its much better and i should use my feet to get closer or longer, it also makes you slimmer and it also gives a special feel to the pictures, and you find yourself "working the scene" much better, because you have to move yourself to get the shot and not just zoom with your camera. plus with a prime you get all the benefits of low light and natural light photography, which you CAN do with the kit lens but not as well as the prime (slower and you'll have to use high ISO) - anyhow i don't want to confuse you with a lot of information, so i'll leave it at that for the time being.

Last edited:
I just wanted to let you know a bit from personal experience, I bought my first dslr without doing research (great deal on a new d3000 when they were making room for the d3100).
and at first I was a tad disappointed with the results (not because great pictures can't be produced with it, but because I didn't immediately know how to produce them). I read all kinds of material on photography after that. it was immediately such a great feeling that I could improve my photography just about every day. I went from using auto modes to confidently using manual modes (with trial and error) & now being pretty proud of my photos.
truly, any dslr in the right hands can be a great tool.
I think any of the body/kit lens outfits mentioned above can be a great buy (try keh.com and bhphotovideo.com, they both have great used items at good prices)
just remember that the lens (in my opinion and I hope many others will agree) is more important than the body. in the sense that the lens can make or break the shot.
start with the kit lens, decide which next lens you want: one better for landscapes?, one better for portraits?, zoom? even macro?

so in summary: any dslr will be the perfect one for a beginner like you.

because you'll be very happy with the knowledge you get and the constant improvement of your skills.
also you'll probably want to upgrade later anyway. using any dslr will help you learn what you would want out of your next one.

p.s. if there was ONE thing I wish I had in my first dslr, its a higher iso than 1600...
good luck!!!

I just wanted to let you know a bit from personal experience, I bought my first dslr without doing research (great deal on a new d3000 when they were making room for the d3100).
and at first I was a tad disappointed with the results (not because great pictures can't be produced with it, but because I didn't immediately know how to produce them). I read all kinds of material on photography after that. it was immediately such a great feeling that I could improve my photography just about every day. I went from using auto modes to confidently using manual modes (with trial and error) & now being pretty proud of my photos.
truly, any dslr in the right hands can be a great tool.
I think any of the body/kit lens outfits mentioned above can be a great buy (try keh.com and bhphotovideo.com, they both have great used items at good prices)
just remember that the lens (in my opinion and I hope many others will agree) is more important than the body. in the sense that the lens can make or break the shot.
start with the kit lens, decide which next lens you want: one better for landscapes?, one better for portraits?, zoom? even macro?

so in summary: any dslr will be the perfect one for a beginner like you.

because you'll be very happy with the knowledge you get and the constant improvement of your skills.
also you'll probably want to upgrade later anyway. using any dslr will help you learn what you would want out of your next one.

p.s. if there was ONE thing I wish I had in my first dslr, its a higher iso than 1600...
good luck!!!

I agree, one can do wonders with a basic DSLR and the kit lens. ONCE he\she knows what there doing. now i can take photos even with my P&S and get nice results, when once when i didn't know what i'm doing, i never got.

there is a lot of free information today on the internet and youtube to learn from.

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your input :) I came across a guy who is selling Canon rebel xs 1000d. It is used but in great condition. Any feedback about this camera? The price is reasonable for me. It also includes 18-55 KIT Lense.

thats a good idea Delon, you can learn the basics and then get a new body when you feel it limits you, and that would take a year or two for sure (one can do wonders when one knows how to use a tool very well).

if you got a good deal and the camera is in good shape and it feels good in your hands, i would go for it. - check that everything respondes well also with the lens, also check the lens, that its not damaged.

thats a good idea Delon, you can learn the basics and then get a new body when you feel it limits you, and that would take a year or two for sure (one can do wonders when one knows how to use a tool very well).

if you got a good deal and the camera is in good shape and it feels good in your hands, i would go for it. - check that everything respondes well also with the lens, also check the lens, that its not damaged.

Hi! thanks for reply. I have got a good deal for Nikon d3000 with 16-55mm lens. Any suggestion? I am thinking about going for it.

Hi! thanks for reply. I have got a good deal for Nikon d3000 with 16-55mm lens. Any suggestion? I am thinking about going for it.

if you have a good deal get it, and you mean the 18-55 VR kit lens probably but doesn't matter ;)

Hello guys, I want to buy a DSLR and also like to get familiar with it. However, I am completely lost and not sure how to choose a good camera for a beginner like me. I googled and came across lots of resources. Though I am trying to do my research before spending my money, I believe that it will be helpful to get some advice/suggestion from the pros. My budget is about 600 dollars. One of my friends advised me to get a 2nd hand body and then buy a good lens.

I would appreciate if anyone can share his/her thoughts or share experience.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have any friends that are photographer that you could borrow lenses from? If yes, buy what they use.

Compare the prices to this:

Amazon.com: d3200

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back