Buying Filters

Dragoness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well since I am such an idiot and accidently sent my defective camera back to B&H with my polarizing filter on it, looks like I will need a new one (unless I get really lucky and they find it)

So I want to buy a Polarizing filter and UV filter, but my 3 lenses are 62mm, 52mm, and 50 mm.

So does that mean I should buy my filters in the 62mm size then buy step down rings so I can use them on all the lenses? How does that work?

What filters should I have in my bag? I know I can do a lot of things in Photoshop Elements and PSPXi.

So does that mean I should buy my filters in the 62mm size then buy step down rings so I can use them on all the lenses? How does that work?
Yup, that's the best way to go...for the polarizer at least. UV filters are usually used for protection, as they really don't have all that much effect on the image. So if you want full time protection for the lenses...you might want filters for all three. Personally, I'd skip the UV filters and go with just the polarizer and a couple step up rings. You may also want to get three 62mm lens caps, so that you can leave the step up rings on all the time.

The polarizer is really one of the only filters that can't be easily replicated with software...and software is infinitely more flexible. You might want an ND (neutral density) filter, if you think you might want to shoot with very long shutter speeds in the day time. (waterfalls etc.)

I have some square filters...the only ones I even think about using are the split or grad filters...everything else (sepia, diffuser, even the star) can be done with software.

I've never tried it myself...but I'm sure it can be done...although I'll admit, the star is probably easier with a filter. However, with the filter...you only get two choices...star or no star. With Photoshop, you can do what ever you want.

I'd agree, the amount of filters you need in the digital age is very few. Polarizer, and maybe some split density filters for landscape. Other than that, just about everything else can be replicated in Photochop. Just be careful not to stack your filters to high or you'll get the corners in your photo.

and actually I believe the rings are called step up rings, since you are taking a small lens and stepping up to a larger size.

Well since I am such an idiot and accidently sent my defective camera back to B&H with my polarizing filter on it, looks like I will need a new one (unless I get really lucky and they find it)

Found it. It's on the way back to you right now.

I have a polarizer for each lens, that way I do not need to switch it when I change lens. If I feel that I will be needing it, I just put them all on before I start. Definitely more costly but I find it convenient aned one less thing to juggle. I stared to do this after I dropped one in water while switching it from one lens to another.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back