Buying first ever DSLR please advice

Xx_Joey_xX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All

This is my first post here, I just wanted to say the site seems to be great place to learn and talk about photography i also wanted to get your opinion on how am planning to start my photography experience

All I have owned are compact cameras, however after working with the Marines in Iraq and meeting with a number of combat camera guys, and pro journalists I fell in love with DSLR most of the ones i seen were Canons after seeing some amazing results. I said to my self i gotta get one of these. I have owned several COMPACTS mostly Canons they are ok i guess.

After doing plenty of research I have made my choices on what am going to purchase.

am thinking if am gonna go with Canon its either gonna be the 7D, or the new 60D and start with the 18 - 135 lens.

As far as NIKON goes, well to be honest I know NIKON is a respected brand and they should be I use to own a Nikon compact i loved it, But I don't know much about the NIKON DSLR line.

please advice, any feed back would be appreciated
and thanks in advance.

I hear everyone loves the 7D!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

You really need to see them in person and decide for yourself what features you want.

i would go for 60d because of its screen.
nikon is a great option too, but i think the lenses are a bit more expensive overall (i'm a Canon user :))

Hi Joey,

I know you've made your mind up about getting a Canon but I am a beginner too and I have a Nikon D3000 and it's a nice camera. Both of my parents also own a Nikon, I hope you choose wisely and will say welcome to a great new experience :)

the 60d is great, I would go with that or the 7d. not a big fan of nikon, but you should go look at the lenses for each system, they are the big investment.

I think the 7D would be overkill for that kind of thing but I honestly dont know. Do you need 8FPS? Do you need 18MP? Do you the crazy AF system? Its not really a entry level design either, all the buttons and menus may confuse you. I think a used 40D or maybe 50D would be perfect and great for the price.

I think the 7D would be overkill for that kind of thing but I honestly dont know. Do you need 8FPS? Do you need 18MP? Do you the crazy AF system? Its not really a entry level design either, all the buttons and menus may confuse you. I think a used 40D or maybe 50D would be perfect and great for the price.

The buttons and menus on the 40D and 50D are very similar. With either camera you really need some decent glass for them to perform well. So if you are on a budget than a 40D and some nice glass would be better. But if you have some slack then get the one that suits your needs (both cameras are similar but have some big differences such as fps and size). I really think your best bet is to go to the store and play with them or possibly rent them.

60D or 7D that's the question !
being in Iraq and not having access to both camera and being able to check em out makes things harder...
I gotta admit i was looking at the Nikon D7000 but something made me lean Canon don't know why.

60D has a tilting screen, how useful can that be ?
how long can the video clips be if your gonna record video ? cause i think a tilting screen would be great for video.

7D looks like a beast its sturdy and can take a beating.
faster.

choices choices !

60D or 7D that's the question !
being in Iraq and not having access to both camera and being able to check em out makes things harder...
I gotta admit i was looking at the Nikon D7000 but something made me lean Canon don't know why.

60D has a tilting screen, how useful can that be ?
how long can the video clips be if your gonna record video ? cause i think a tilting screen would be great for video.

7D looks like a beast its sturdy and can take a beating.
faster.

choices choices !

I would get the 7D and would not even consider the 60D.

Hard Rock what makes you say that ?

thanks

Well I currently have a 50D and the 60D really isnt an upgrade. But even if I didnt I personally do not like the flip screen its just something else for me to tear up ( but for other it may be a great feature). I like the size of the 7D better , the 8 fps vs the 5, the metal body vs plastic, 100% vs 96% viewfinder , 7d dual digic processor vs single 60d, 19af points vs 60Ds 9, and the 7D lens micro adjust. But the question is.... Is that worth the $600 dollars extra to you? Hope this helps!

Hardrock, thanks for the great info how about VIDEO ?
how would you compare 60d vs 7d ?

to be honest I have a budget of about $1900 so money should be ok for what am looking for ... but again its the TILT screen that's making this an issue for me, for me I like the 7d more i think, but am thinking would i ever use or taking shots at odd angles !

Hardrock, thanks for the great info how about VIDEO ?
how would you compare 60d vs 7d ?

to be honest I have a budget of about $1900 so money should be ok for what am looking for ... but again its the TILT screen that's making this an issue for me, for me I like the 7d more i think, but am thinking would i ever use or taking shots at odd angles ![/QUO

Video does not appeal to me in a DSLR. I have a seperate hd video camera, and I really dont know much about the video on either cameras.

The video is pretty much equal in all three cameras. The difference is the sound volume adjustment in the 60D and swivel screen. All 3 have same frame rates, all 3 have external mic input, etc... The link I provided talks a little about the video under "60D vs 550D vs 7D" in my previous post.

Most reactions

Back