Buying Gear For Weddings, Seeking Feedback

ryevick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am preparing to get back into doing weddings after several years of "down time" and am needing to buy new gear for my setup this Spring/Summer (I wont be shooting till next year though) and I wanted to bounce my list off you all and see what suggestions you may have for me.

I currently own a Nikon D80 and I'm looking at either getting a D7000 or D700 and using my D80 as a second or maybe getting the D700 and upgrading my D80 to the D7000 as a second.

If I go with the D7000 as my main and D80 as my second I'm thinking:

Nikkor 17mm-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX (main)

Nikkor 70-200mm f-2.8G AF-S VR II Zoom-Nikkor ED-IF (second)

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G AF-S (for formal portraits)

2 Nikon SB-900s and White Lightning Studio Lights for portraits

If I go with the D700 as my main and D7000/D80 as my second I'm thinking:

Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S (main)

Nikkor 70-200mm f-2.8G AF-S VR II Zoom-Nikkor ED-IF (second?)

Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D AF (for formal portraits)

2 Nikon SB-900s and White Lightning Studio Lights for portraits

Thank you for your time :D

Last edited:
I would go full frame. No question about that!! I just got the d700 and now I can't imagine having a DX format camera. In fact I am trying to get rid of mine. Plus, the 24-70 is ideal. You can almost shoot the whole wedding with it.

I would scratch the 70-200 for now and go with the 14-24. It is a super sharp lens and is great for the reception, due to the fact that there is hardly any distortion for such a wide angle lens.

I would disagree with the above. While the 14-24 is an awesome lens, reception pictures are generally less important than ceremony pictures, and I couldn't imagine shooting a ceremony without my 70-200. More than once I've actually wished for a 300 2.8 on an APS-C body for ceremony images.

Your second list looks great!

Definitely go for the D700, you can upgrade the 2nd body to a d7000 later--it's nice to have both a full and crop body.

I think what I'm going to do is, go ahead and get the 70-200, SB-900 (2) and my studio lights and get the other stuff when Nikon releases the D400, D800 and maybe a D8000/D7000S... I'm leaning hard toward 2 D7000s right now but we'll see.

Second list is definately better than the first.

Regards,
Jake

How many weddings have you shot ? because you shouldn't need to ask, i would never ask on a forum what lens to get

How many weddings have you shot ? because you shouldn't need to ask, i would never ask on a forum what lens to get

I'm not asking which lens to get. Read the post; I'm debating on my choice of camera...

Oh, and good for you!

Last edited:

I'm not asking which lens to get. Read the post; I'm debating on my choice of camera...

Oh, and good for you!

What a complete waste of time that is asking about something your not getting :lmao:

Oh, and good for you!

What a complete waste of time that is asking about something your not getting :lmao:

When people like yourself that can't seem to comprehend what is going on around them reply :drool: , it is.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back