Buying lenses online

Sarah Elizabeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
hmm, i think that if you are going to be making expensive purchases online, like the ones that you are looking at, maybe it would be best to stick to big reputable specialty sites like B&H and Adorama. I've never bought photographic equipment online, but that's what I would do.

Well, I'd say that the 'list price' is over inflated. That may have been the price at one time...but if you look around, the average price of the lens will probably be very close to what their sale price is.

I'm not certain, but I believe that most or all of Amazon's lens/camera stuff is sold via Adorama. You might as well cut out the middle man. Also, I'd recommend having a look at B&H Photo.

Links to both B&H and Adorama can be found at the top right of this page. If you use those links when you buy, it helps this site.

I have purchased several things from B&H, via online transactions. It has worked well for me.

Hey Sweet. Thanks a bunch. I am definilty alright with helping this site. This sight is a true GEM!

you might also check out KEH.com.

they have a terrific rep

One thing to make sure you do is to check both Amazon and Adorama... often (I have seen this personally myself) the product will have different prices, I have seen it run both ways. For example, when I bought my BigMa I bought it through Amazon sold by Adorama for $50 less than the Adorama website listed it... it came from Adorama, directly... but still was $50 cheaper.

I have no idea why.

Thanks a lot guys. NOw I have another newbie question.

It would be my assumtion that all "L" series lenses have an image stabilizer built into them?

It would be my assumtion that all "L" series lenses have an image stabilizer built into them?
NO, only lenses with "IS" in the title have image stabilizer.

'L' is Canon's designation for their top/pro quality lenses. Many of which are weather sealed and have the top of the line glass elements...and of course, they have the red ring painted on them.

OK. I wasn't sure. I get it now..
prosumer lenses come with or without IS and the same with the L series.
wooot

Now you are getting it :D

Now, 'L' lenses are top quality. Some of the best 'consumer' camera lenses you can get. Also, you pay a premium to get them and the Canon name.

For example, the Canon 24-70 F2.8 L...it's a great, top of the line lens used by many pro photographers. It's rather expensive > $1000.

You can get a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 lens for about half that price. Same range, same max aperture...so why the price difference? Well, I think most everyone would say that the Canon lens produces better images (sharpness, contrast, color etc)...but how much better? From what I've heard and read, on average, you can get about 90% of the quality of L lenses, for about half the price....which for most people, is a good deal. However, some people need or want that extra 10% and are willing to pay for it.

Also, build quality should be mentioned. For the most part, any L lens is built like a brick, so no worries. Other brands may be good or even as good...but take that on a lens by lens basis.

Lastly, there is resale value. Top quality L lenses will hold their value remarkably well...especially if you buy them after the initial price drop. You could buy a lens, use it for several years and provided it's not banged up too badly, sell it for 80-90% of what you paid for it. The same may not be true of other brand lenses.

Oh K that is great. So Big Mike do you use Sigma. I do believe from what I have read you are a canon user. If you use Sigma are you happy with your results? As for the "L" lense that would be considered a "consumer" lense? I am confused when these "umer" words are used as possible sales pitches. :)

I've made this comment before about B&H, but I'd like to say again. They are helpful on the phone, more than competitive with prices, fast with delivery and the packaging is excellent. I never have to worry about damage even though UPS will do their worst with throwing packages around.

Oh K that is great. So Big Mike do you use Sigma. I do believe from what I have read you are a canon user. If you use Sigma are you happy with your results? As for the "L" lense that would be considered a "consumer" lens? I am confused when these "umer" words are used as possible sales pitches.
I'm am a Canon user, but I do have some Sigma lenses (Canon mount) as well as Tamron lenses. As I mentioned, 90% of the performance for less than 50% of the price, is hard to pass up. However, if I did have the budget, I would probably go with all Canon lenses.

I know the 'sumer' gets thrown around a lot. Usually, it refers to thinks that are made for the general public, rather than professionals. So for example, L lenses would be Pro compared to consumer or 'prosumer'. Probably because the average soccer mom who buys a Rebel XT, is not going to spend double the price of the camera, on a lens.

However, when I used it in that last post. I just didn't want to say that L lenses are the best lenses ever made. There are a few camera lenses that people think are better...and of course, industrial lenses for lasers and things like that...might be better. Canon L lenses are avaliable for the public to buy...so I called them 'consumer'.

Does Sigma make a lense with an IS? It isn't as clear with the canon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back