Buying my first camera...

Mijoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the "Equipment and Services" thread...

I've just joined the forum and have been voraciously reading as much as I can for tips on my first DSLR camera. Love, love, love the support and openness I've seen so far from all the members here. I'm completely new to photography, so a lot of the jargon goes over my head. I'm reading as much as I can, but until I get the camera in my hand I don't think I'll really understand aperture and ISO and the million other things I have to learn. I've got a baby due in March, and 2 brand new nieces, so that's primarily where I would like to start taking photos. A few questions on my choices though:

1) I've pretty much decided on the Canon Rebel. I like how it feels in my hands and it's in my budget. I'm curious about the differences between the XT and the XTI. Like I said, a lot of the jargon doesn't make a lot of sense to me yet, so I can't really determine if spending the extra $200 on the XTI would be good for me.

2) Is it worth it for me to buy the kit lens? I've read so many people say they get the kit lens and never use it. I thought I might just buy the body and start with the 50mm f/1.8. Or would I be limiting myself without the kit lens?

3) I love this style of photography! http://www.urbankidsphoto.com/

I saw something similar on the forums by a user here, I think her name was Erin, but I can't find it now to link it. I just think that's how kids portraits should be, bright colors and big clear eyes. I would love to get to this point eventually. You know, eventually. Can I do that sort of portraiture with the camera I've chosen combined with post processing? Is it gauche to want to emulate another photographers style? If it is, sorry. :blushing:

Thanks a lot for reading. Any insight would be really appreciated.

1 - The XTi is worth the extra I'd say...the extra resolution and better high ISO performance...as well as the extra LCD screen space.

2 - no it's not really worth it to get the kit lens. the 50mm 1.8 is a GREAT choice. If you want a zoom, there's plenty of nice ones in that same focal length area...just better quality (you get what you pay for usually)

3 - No it's not bad to emulate. That's how you learn your own style. Do what you like.

I agree that the 50mm lens is a great choice...especially if you're indoors.

However, if you're outdoors kids won't sit in the same place long enough for you to be able to frame them how you'd like and you'd end up having to run everywhere after them if you only have the 50mm.

I don't have any kids, but I do have 5 nieces & nephews all under 6 years old. Whenever I take one to the park or something my zoom lens (18-200 mm) comes in real handy.

Thanks to you both for the great advice!

1 - The XTi is worth the extra I'd say...the extra resolution and better high ISO performance...as well as the extra LCD screen space.

I think I agree with you Sideburns. I actually went back to the store yesterday to compare, and after playing with the XTI for half an hour, it was a hard transition to look at that tiny LCD screen on the XT.

However, if you're outdoors kids won't sit in the same place long enough for you to be able to frame them how you'd like and you'd end up having to run everywhere after them if you only have the 50mm.

I don't have any kids, but I do have 5 nieces & nephews all under 6 years old. Whenever I take one to the park or something my zoom lens (18-200 mm) comes in real handy.

Thanks AUZambo! This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I'll definitely have to keep this in mind before the babies get too mobile!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back