Buying my first lighting kit: flash or strobes?

I use Speedotron Brown and Black line, and use Manfrotto boom arms, so I can put the mounting spigots into the boom arm either "on the pointy end-part", or "cross-shaft" mounted...maybe I am dense, but I do not quite understand why the Uni Jr. needs to be mounted upside-down...I have never had to mount a flash head upside down. What's the issue that necessitates this upside-down mounting?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but top-hung seems to be the method which "spins" the least. If I mount the Dynalite directly onto the boom's 5/8" spud (oriented horizontally), it simply won't hold any tilt-angle (the Dynalite's baby screw just won't tighten with enough tension). Although I think I know what you mean by "cross-shaft," do you have a picture you can post of that? Thanks!
Rather than using the spigot mount to mount the griphead to the boom, use the actual clamping part; then just drop the baby pin through the spud mount hole. This gives you a lot more clamping force on the boom arm to keep the light from spinning so you don't have to hang it straight down. ;) Still doesn't eliminate the need for a grip head on the end however. :(

Yes, that's actually a more secure way to mount the light--thanks for the suggestion. Actually, the grip-head's baby receiver does have enough bite to hold without tilting, but the Dynalite baby-receiver knob can't tighten enough to stop it from spinning (if used without a grip head), a common problem with most strobe manufacturer's baby receivers. For larger lights, with even bigger modifiers, I have to use a Chimera stand adapter [#3700 pictured]:

chimera3700.jpg

Chimera 3700 stand adapter + Chimera QR speedring for Speedotron monolights (grip head not included).

Last edited:
[Scatterbrained: Yours are probably the best Disneyworld images I've ever seen! Excellent work!]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back