buying my first pro SLR?? HELP!?!?!?!

matt e

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
all I know is that I don't want to go digital and spend too much on the body.

with so many out there I am really confused :cry: . Can anyone help me out??

Thanks

Sid- he doesn't want to go digital.

matt- buying a "pro" body and not spending much on it can't happen. By definition pro bodies are expensive, both because of the build quality and the features that working pro photographers require.

Just as an example, the Canon EOS-1V body is around $1400, and the Nikon F5 is about $1600. There are a great many consumer camera bodies for much less that will probably do what you need to do.

If you're just getting into a SLR you need to look beyond this body to the system you're buying into. When (if) you outgrow your first body (whatever it turns out to be) what will be your next step? Your lens chioces should determine what bod(y)(ies) you get. Lenses are the major expense of a camera system. Once purchased they can be used a long time and with film and digital bodies, so choose wisely.

For film at least, a camera body is just a light-tight box that holds the film and the lens. The lens and film do all the work. Creature comforts that make actually taking the pics are nice, but add to cost.

If you aren't sure yet what system you think you might want, almost every major maker has a "starter" camera that comes bundled with a 28-80mm lens and they're generally pretty inexpensive. So, if you decide to change later you really aren't out much.

Perhaps if you tell us what type of photography (or subjects) that you wish to pursue someone can give you some good advice.

[/end verbosity] ;)

Thanks for the correction Jim, I read it as that he wanted to go to digital but not spend too much.
Oh well, the sites are interesting anyway.

It you’re looking not to spend a lot of money, and you still what pro SLR you may need to think about going used, you should be able to get a good used pro slr in to 400-500 USD range

Canon's EOS 3 is one step below the EOS 1V and is used by alot of pros. It can be found on Ebay for around $575.00 for the body only. The next step below that would be the Elan 7, it can be had on Ebay for around $275.00. You can look at the spec on both cameras at

http://www.usa.canon.com

The biggest differences between the two are.
1. The EOS 3 has a true spot meter, The Elan has a 10% partial
2. The EOS 3 has 45 auto-focusing points. The Elan has 7
3. The focusing screens are interchangeable on the eos 3,They are
not on the Elan.

Also you could look at an EOS 1N on ebay.
I don't know anything about Nikons, sorry.

Steve

Matt,

Why do you what a pro SLR? The only big different in pro SLR is the frame per second and a sturdy body. I am familiar with Canon so I will use them for an example. A used Canon A2 is a low level pro SLR it is about the same camera as a new Elan high end amateur SLR.

If you ruff on your equipment get a used pro SLR, if now then go for a high end amateur SLR.

Lenses are the key equipment wise, get the best pro ones that your back account will let you

Bottom line, If you want a good brand camera that you can use it's lens with most of the camera bodies the brand makes. Most of the camera's out there you can not do that. Nikon is 1#. It has the same F mount that it has always had and does not break down like most of the other camera's. Nikon's are built like tanks. I purchaed my very first camera a year ago and it is a F-100. I now own two of them. The lenses a great and not so expensive as Canon's high end lenses.

Most reactions

Back