Buying new camera...Advice!?

The camera and lens you 1st buy are tools to the photographer like hammers and saws are to a carpenter. Better tools will make the job easier and will last longer but, you have to buy what you can afford. I only know Nikon but I'm sure this is true of Canon and maybe Sony as well, and that is you want a camera body that will work with all available auto focus lenses and not all Nikon DSLR's not work with Nikon's older non-motor lenses. I do know that camera bodies D70/80/90, D7000/7100/7200, D300/s, D600/610, D700/750 and D800/810 will. Also the popup flash on these models can be used as a wireless flash commander for setting up off camera lighting. I use it this way all the time. These little things can make a big difference on down the road.

wow; two kit lenses?! better focusing?! no brainer here!:emmersed:
Nikon D3400. Kit now $499. Are you kidding? That's super cheap to get into photography. And you have left over money in your budget to buy the 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8.

Yes this looks like a pretty good kit, especially for the price. I stopped by the Nikon website and looked over the specs of this today. The longer tele Zoom has the new AF - P focusing system which is supposed to be much better than the older earlier system. I thought the ability to have the camera connect to other devices via built-in Wi-Fi was a nice touch and that's something you can read about in the reviews of the D 3400.

Thanks for input, however, u seem to hve recommended two different options...I was leaning towards your initial advice to buy kit, sell back lenses and go with the sigma 17-50 f2.8...quick question, do I have to buy from that company to sell it back to them? and can I use the kit lenses for a while and then sell them back or do you need to do this right away for that buy back option?

last year i bought a d3300 & the excellent sigma 17-50 f2.8 for my wife. b&h bought back the kit lens for $75. this is an incredible combo for the price. my brother got it before a vacation this year and got some great pics of spain. he was considering a zoom with longer reach, but i convinced him f2.8 was more valuable.
the lenses are where your money should go as the cameras are like PCs now; quickly becoming obsolete.

PropilotBW says d3400; i agree
$400 - Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens for Nikon 583306 B&H
$420 after returning kit lens Nikon D3400 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Black) 1571 B&H Photo
and with that extra money: a graduated filter to give your sky color instead of washing out: B+W 77mm MRC 702M Hard-Edge Graduated Neutral Density 66-1067372

Drive By, do I have to buy from that online store in order to sell them back the kit lenses? what's the process there?

Most reactions

Back