Buying new gear, have some Qs!

Varuna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I'm new here, but have been browsing the forums for a week or so. Anyways, I'm starting to get pretty heavy into photography, and am planning to buy new equipment soon to replace my older Kodak EasyShare (solid P&S, but now that my new cell phone takes better shots, I think it's time to upgrade haha)

So far I'm going for a Canon Rebel XTi (still have to check some out in person), and the local camera shop sells with with an EF-S 18-55mm UWZ lens. Are these decent lenses? I don't think I'll use it much, but I want one just in case.

As well, are lens hoods a good idea for any lens type? I plan on getting 4 lenses within the next few months, and I'd like to have hoods, but I can only find ones that are for one specific lens. Are there universal rubber lens hoods for Canon DSLR lenses?

Thanks!

(P.S. - I'll be doing mostly outdoor shots, which is why I'm so concerned about lens hoods.)

The hood you need should come with the lens you buy. Just remember if you do buy a rubber lens hood make sure you buy one that is made for your lens or if you are using it for a wide-angle lens you might get some vignetting.

Welcome to the forum.

The 18-55mm lens is a good lens for the price (about $100 with camera)...but it was made to be affordable and therefore it's cheap and plasticy. If you can afford an upgrade, I'd recommend the EF-S 17-85 instead....or the 17-55 F2.8 IS, if can really afford an upgrade.

As for hoods, JIP covered it. You can use those rubber hoods but you may get vignetting if the hood isn't right for the lens. I have a 58mm rubber hood and it does vignette on the 18-55mm lens. I find that it's best to stick with the hoods that are made for the specific lenses.

Great, thanks for the info guys! I'll definitely take a look at those other zoom lenses. I can get the camera cheaper without the 18-55mm, of course, so I'll probably buy the body seperately and grab one of those lenses you reccomended. I also didn't realize lenses came with hoods, it was never mentioned in online stores, must be one of those common things that's to be expected.

I also didn't realize lenses came with hoods, it was never mentioned in online stores, must be one of those common things that's to be expected.
They usually don't. The only lens that I own that came with a hood was the 70-200 F4L (I think all of the L lenses come with hoods ... don't they?).

They usually don't. The only lens that I own that came with a hood was the 70-200 F4L (I think all of the L lenses come with hoods ... don't they?).

I have 3 lenses (you can see them in my sig) 2 are 2.8 lenses and one is the 18-55 "kit" lens and all three came with lens hoods.

I have 3 lenses (you can see them in my sig) 2 are 2.8 lenses and one is the 18-55 "kit" lens and all three came with lens hoods.
Really...?
Must be a Nikon thing, Canon lenses don't come with hoods (other than the L lenses). That explains why Nikon lenses cost more...

Nikon lenses cost more? lol. Good one.
Don't they?
It seems like they do on B&H. Or do I not know what to look for? (Which is possible, because I don't shoot Nikon, so I might not be comparing the right lens.)
I thought there was even a thread about that somewhere on here.

Don't they?
It seems like they do on B&H. Or do I not know what to look for? (Which is possible, because I don't shoot Nikon, so I might not be comparing the right lens.)
I thought there was even a thread about that somewhere on here.

Well maybe...but whenever I compare a similar lens with similar aperture and high quality glass...it's always cheaper to go Nikon apparently. ( I shoot Canon). Most Nikon lenses don't include an Autofocus motor...so...that probably helps.

Like today when I was looking at the 70-200 vs Nikon's 80-200. Despicable...lol

I would gladly pay a little more (within reason) if it came with a hood. I never knew that Nikon lenses came with a hood, I guess Canon thinks that most people don't use them. I would use one on every lens I own, if I had them. I do have a couple (2), but not one for every lens.

I don't think it's that much of a price difference - probably about the cost of the hood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back