Buying off camera flashes

Sorry for the confusion.

285hv is better because out of the box, you can change the flash power from 1/1 to 1/2, 1/4 or 1/16. But the 283 cannot do that unless you mod it yourself or replace the front part with VP-1. (it seems that this part is discontinued from B&H now) (i.e. Vivitar 283 Flash Vari-power VP-1 module - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum)

After that, you can manually adjust the power on both flashes.

As for the trigger voltage. Only the newer 285hv has the lower trigger voltage. The older 285hv and the 283 has trigger voltage over 200V. It may damage some new DSLRs and may not work with some RF remote triggers (i.e. Cactus V2 vs V2s) or some optical slave trigger.

The new 285 flashes usually go for about $90. I bought them used from ebay as well as craigslist and that is why they are cheaper.

Awesome. thank you very much! Couple more questions for you if it's ok.

If I buy a used 285HV (I dont think ill bother with modding the 283) on ebay or craigslist, what do I need to look out for? I have the Cactus V2s and want to make sure that the 285hv works with it with regards to the voltage output...

Also, in the link that mike posted, the first flash is now the standard in the mpex strobist kit, I know that it has better power adjusment and a built in optical slave that the vivitar does not, and if mpex is ready to ditch the 285 in favor of this new unit, its probably pretty good.

I have a couple 285's and I like them, also I got a very cheap Canon 430ez, and Use it quite often. The EZ series only works with film, SLRS, so they are pretty cheap used. Actually, I should say that TTL only works with film cameras, pretty much everything else still works on Digital bodies. The 430's are adjustable from full to 1/32 power.

lol Ryan, I have a Canon EZ flash as well :) (bought it with the used film camera).

The only thing I do not like that is when it is on the receiver, it will go to sleep when not in use for a short period of time and the only way to wake it up is turn it off and then back on. Therefore I usually use it as a on-camera flash if needed.

Since the TTL will not work in the digital camera, I have to use it manually. However, I think it is much better to use it manually since it force me to learn things such as what camera settings work with what power settings. After awhile, I remember some settings by heart. So I will just dial the flash power, change the camera aperture, shutter speed and ISO and start taking pictures.

If I buy a used 285HV (I dont think ill bother with modding the 283) on ebay or craigslist, what do I need to look out for? I have the Cactus V2s and want to make sure that the 285hv works with it with regards to the voltage output...

I believe that the HV, is the designation for the new model that is safe for digital cameras and triggers. the original was just the 285.

So, look for the 285HV and you should be fine, however if you do come across some old 285's you can still use them with a device called a "safe sync," which isolates the high voltage from the hot shoe, although Safe syncs are over priced.

The V2s .. I believe only works with the newer version of the 285hv that has a lower trigger voltage. For the higher trigger voltage, you need the V2 <--- no "s" or the new V4 (according to the website, which is not compatible with V2/V2s trigger)

So if you find one on craigslist, you can bring a voltmeter/multimeter along and test the trigger voltage of the flash. From what I learned, if the flash is made in Japan, it is most likely has the higher trigger voltage. If it is made in China or Korea, then the unit may has a lower trigger voltage.

Also, in the link that mike posted, the first flash is now the standard in the mpex strobist kit, I know that it has better power adjusment and a built in optical slave that the vivitar does not, and if mpex is ready to ditch the 285 in favor of this new unit, its probably pretty good.

I know, I want to get the lumopro, but it's like $50 more...and I'm poor, and not good at photography at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back