Buying Online and Shipping Discussion

Rapid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently just purchased a Canon EOS 400D ( :boogie: ), but I have some concerns.

This is the most expensive thing I've bought off the internet (eBay), and I just recieved the tracking number. The guy's shop is out of Ithaca, New York and I live in Toronto, Canada. The item was tracked as follows:

Ithaca > Syracause, NY > Missisauga (RIGHT near Toronto) > Ithaca > Lousiville, Kentucky

I have a question. I'm kind of concerned that its sitting in Kentucky after it already was basically in my backyard (Mississauga). Also, it's going to have to cross the border for the second time now!

Someone please tell me whats going on, and if this had happened to you before.

I recently just purchased a Canon EOS 400D ( :boogie: ), but I have some concerns.

This is the most expensive thing I've bought off the internet (eBay), and I just recieved the tracking number. The guy's shop is out of Ithaca, New York and I live in Toronto, Canada. The item was tracked as follows:

Ithaca > Syracause, NY > Missisauga (RIGHT near Toronto) > Ithaca > Lousiville, Kentucky

I have a question. I'm kind of concerned that its sitting in Kentucky after it already was basically in my backyard (Mississauga). Also, it's going to have to cross the border for the second time now!

Someone please tell me whats going on, and if this had happened to you before.

That's really wierd. Does it still say it's in transit?

I've had weird things like that happen with shipping. Is the tracking number from someplace like DHL or UPS? If so I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps you should contact the shipping company and ask them?

im pretty sure you ordered from the same shop as me (exact same location anyway). try contacting them are you sure you gave the address correctly?

Same thing happened to me. I forget the carrier. It may have been FEDEX. A year or two ago I ordered something that was in my same town and then they shipped it back out to another state. I was so annoyed. I called them and they said it was enroute back to me. It was just an error on their part.

I would call and confirm with them that it is on its way back to you. An employee probably just threw it on the wrong belt.

I had an Ipod that I bought from somewhere in california being shipped to me in Missouri. It passed through denver three times because they kept getting held up by snow! Not really a big deal, but If snow was the problem why did they keep sending it BACK to Denver?:lol:

Don't think about it too hard; your head might explode.

Louisville is a major hub for UPS. If that's how it was shipped, and if UPS works like FedEx, all packages go to a major hub before going out to the final destinations. For FedEx, I believe most packages go through Memphis, Tennessee.

I don't know who's shipping your stuff, but I work for a major freight forwarder and sometimes there really is just wonky routing. Sometimes it's cheaper to route it though a hub that's out of the way, then put it on a direct truck that's close you. That being said, stuff gets misrouted/mislabeled all of the time, so if it's inching towards your expected delivery date and they're still showing it in Kentucky you should definitely give the shipper a call.

I have had this happen more than once with newegg orders via FedEx. Sometimes things get concatenated on the shipping label, or something gets spelled wrong, or the shipping company just makes a mistake and it goes out on the wrong truck/plane. This causes all kinds of funky routes. I just call FedEx with the tracking number, verify the info, they pull it from wherever it is and overnight it too me free of charge.

The moral of this story, call em :)

Ok...here's the update:

The package made its way to Toronto, and its sitting there. They're going to deliver on Monday to my apartment.

A new concern came up tho.

UPS is charging me what seems to be an arbitrary $83. This supposedly includes duty and customs taxes with a brokerage fee. There is actually a class-action lawsuit against UPS because many recievers know nothing about these brokerage fees.

im pretty sure you ordered from the same shop as me (exact same location anyway). try contacting them are you sure you gave the address correctly?

I bought from Global Phoenix Direct...I dont know what rating I should give them because the lack of information about customs and shipping on their page.

The person that you bought from is supposed to inform you that there might be customs or brokerage fees. For future reference anytime something is shipped internationally( even if it is just a few hundred miles) there will be customs fee's. It is not controlled by the shipping company it is from the government.

Like others had mentioned, even if you send a package across town, it goes to Kentucky first or where ever there other main hubs are in the west.

Most reactions

Back