Buying the camera: What's in the package?

Bram Turismo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, simple thing:

There aren't any stores here that sell DSLRs, which means that I'm ordering via the internet. Now, as some of you may have noticed in my previous thread, I'm buying a Nikon D80 with a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 lens.

However, I've contacted the people that sell the camera, and in the past I haven't recieved an answer. My question was that I do not know what usually comes with the D80 box and the lens.

Also, when buying a camera and a lens that is not a KIT lens as a package, do you recieve the same basic items as with the KIT lens?

By this I mean, will I recieve a memory card with the camera or can't I begin to shoot as soon as I recieve it? Do lenses come with protection items or any other items, or is it just the lens?

I'm just asking this because the price on this package is now relatively cheap, but I'm just wondering what items will follow in the box when I'll be purchasing a Nikon D80 with a Sigma lens...

Thanks,

Last edited:
If it's not at the manufacturer's website, go to the B & H website, and look up the gear. It will list what comes with. I'm buying Canon, but I bet it's similar to Nikon: the body will come with a battery, a battery charger, the instruction manuals, all the cables you need, strap, etc... It will not normally come with a memory card, nor do lenses normally come with protective filters, although they should come with caps. Some manufacturer's include lens hoods and lens bags/cases, but it just depends. Sometimes sellers include starter kits that have memory cards, UV filter, extra battery, etc... In my experience these are almost always over priced, lower quality items, and you'd be better off buying name brand gear individually. If an internet seller tries to tell you that the battery, cables, and strap (the stuff that's supposed to come with the body) are extra that's a red flag that they are a scammer.

if you are not getting an answer from the seller, i would question the reliability of them.

don't expect to get a memory card, filters, cases or anything "extra." that lens may come with a soft bag and a hood. my 17-70 did.

just research both items and definitely the online merchant.

if you are not getting an answer from the seller, i would question the reliability of them.

I was thinking the same thing. If you do happen to get the products, are they not going to answer if something is missing or if something breaks down?

Memory cards for the camera and filters for the lens are almost never included. Neither are carrying bags.

You may get the lens hood with the lens, you may not.

Camera: manual, cables, battery, battery charger, maybe software, end cap
Lens: caps, maybe hood

Any reputable site will have what comes with the kit or, body you purchase from them. And no the cameras dont come with cards. Go to http://resellerratings.com to see how any of the etailers you plan on buying from stack up. There are some really bad people out there stealing from the public.

*UPDATE*

Ok, now about the momery card for the camera; Will any card do?

This is being recommended by my camera:
Lexar Secure Digital 133x Pro SD 2GB
20 MB/s, Inkl. Image Rescue & Corel Pro

Do I also need one of those card reader thingies?

Last edited:
*UPDATE*

Ok, now about the momery card for the camera; Will any card do?

This is being recommended by my camera:
Lexar Secure Digital 133x Pro SD 2GB
20 MB/s, Inkl. Image Rescue & Corel Pro

Do I also need one of those card reader thingies?
I use Sandisk myself but, the Lexars are good as well. You dont need a card reader but, most people will recommend one. I hook up my cameras most of the time myself, unless I have multiple card to load from. Just make sure the battery is fully charged and, off before hooking it up.

I use Sandisk myself but, the Lexars are good as well. You dont need a card reader but, most people will recommend one. I hook up my cameras most of the time myself, unless I have multiple card to load from. Just make sure the battery is fully charged and, off before hooking it up.

Cheers!

Ordering right now :)

Most reactions

Back