Buying used in the US from Canada

Hibiscus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,
I don't know if there are many Canadians on that forum...
I'd like to buy "new" lenses, and I looked at some online stores in the US, and the prices are really low compared to the ones I see here.
I am looking at buying used lenses.
With the taxes at customs, and shipping, is it still worth it? Any issues with the warranty?
Any advice?
Thanks!

Photographic lenses are duty free.
You will have to pay for HST + PST
You will have to add on any customs processing charges.
and of course what your financial institution thinks the exchange rate + processing the exchange costs.
... in most cases, it does work out cheaper.
Warranty on a used item ... I would think that warranty is with the seller and not a manufacturers warranty.

Depends what brand lenses and where you plan to buy them from..

As Dennis said, count on the exchange rate from US to Cdn dollars, shipping (do not use UPS unless it is the Expedited option) and then expect to pay Provincial Taxes plus a $10 customs fee.

Sometimes a US package will breeze through but don't count on it.

As I understand it, you would have to mail the lens back to the states for warranty.

If it is "used" there is no warranty.

Cheers, Don

Also keep in mind that even if there is a warranty odds are good you'll have to ship it back to them if you have any problems, and going through customs either direction can slow down shipments. A lot. So really a lot of times your actually better off getting something from the US if possible, by the time you factor everything in cost wise your usually looking at about the same amount of money and it's usually just more convenient to buy from a US Dealer if your here in the US.

I have bought a few things online from Canada, but generally it's stuff I just couldn't find here in the states or stuff that they were just offering an unbelievable deal on, otherwise I've found it's generally just not worth the extra time and hassle. YMMV of course.

ok thanks for your replies!
So it seems it's not worth it to buy either new or used from the US living in Canada?

Hmm, sometimes us Canadians can get lucky ... though the dollar is not so good right now.
Your really have to make some good calculations, I've picked up some good deals via US ... sometimes it does work out in terms of total price.

ok thanks for your replies!
So it seems it's not worth it to buy either new or used from the US living in Canada?

For some items it is worth it, just do some shopping before you buy :)

B&H is the first place I look in the US for new and now that they offer Purolator shipping it can be less expensive than buying the same item in Canada.

In Canada check out ....

https://www.cameracanada.com/
Digital Cameras, DSLRs, & Photography Store, Shop - Canada, Edmonton, McBain Camera Ltd.
Vistek is Canada's Digital Camera Store, Shop for Digital SLRs, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras and more - Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Canada
Henry's Canada - Shop for Digital SLR Cameras, Digital Cameras, and Video Cameras

For used there is ebay, Fred Miranda, dpreview, here, etc..

Cheers, Don

Thanks for the links Don! I knew Henry's (I took a photo class there), but not the other ones.
I am not sure what to think of ebay. Most of the sellers are in the US, so I am back to the same problem/question...

Don't be scared of ebay.

Check out the sellers reputation, factor in the exchange rate and shipping costs and either click on "buy now" or set yourself a limit for bidding.

I'm up to ~ three dozen transactions (from the US) and the only problem I've had is when a seller disappeared with the camera I and another person had purchased :)

Perfect reputation scores up to that day, sigh...

Ebay/paypal refunded my money within 3 (?) weeks.

Cheers, Don

BTW > you never did say what camera system. Some sites for used equipment are better than others for Nikon, for example.

oh wow, ok, I will look at ebay then. Have you ever purchased from sellers located in Asia (like Hong Kong or South Korea)?
That is true, I didn't say what I intend to purchase.
I own a Canon SL1, and would like to purchase lenses for taking portraits, in low light setting.
I am still debating to know what I will purchase though...

When I buy used from outside Canada (and I did that more then few times) I dont worry too much about the taxes, just be sure you buy from reliable buyer.
I found GTA kijiji is full of stuff I can buy used and I bought few lenses through kijiji.
Photography stores in the GTA

Aden Camera : Digital SLR Camera, Digital Cameras, Toronto Canada Digital Camera Store

www.blacks.ca

Digital camera store | camera store | camera canada | Camera store canada | Used camera equipment | used camera

Vistek is Canada's Digital Camera Store, Shop for Digital SLRs, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras and more - Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Canada

oh wow, ok, I will look at ebay then. Have you ever purchased from sellers located in Asia (like Hong Kong or South Korea)?
That is true, I didn't say what I intend to purchase.
I own a Canon SL1, and would like to purchase lenses for taking portraits, in low light setting.
I am still debating to know what I will purchase though...

No problems what so ever, shipping just takes a little longer :)

Check this out > Canon Rebel SL1 Portrait lenses made by Canon

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back