Buying used photography equipment...

jenn76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicmemories.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw an ad on craigslist, and am going to look at her stuff today. I don't know if it's a bad thing to buy some things used like umbrellas or the umbrella softbox (do they lose their life after a while? Can I tell by looking at them?). Also, wondering what I should offer for the lot if everything looks good... here it is... thanks in advance!

2 Westcott silver reflective umbrellas $20 for both
1 umbrella soft box $20
1 Bean bag baby poser from Wicker By Design - Paid $129.00, sell for $65.00
Backdrops...
Another is a 6x9 blue with black mingled kind of marbled look.* $25.00
I have 2 white 10x20's $25 for both
1 black 6x9 $25
1 10x20 sand beige marble $45

The more sophisticated the equipment the more cautious you need to be when buying used. But I generally say that buying used is the way to go, especially for studio gear. Umbrellas and softboxes are going to show whether they're in good shape or not. It's not like using them is going to wear out of the diffuser or something. It's more about the structural integrity.

The stuff on that list there all looks pretty basic. If you look it through and it feels like it's in good shape, it probably is.

You might offer $190 - $200 for the whole batch.

I would just inspect them carefully, but certainly would consider used. You have to be more careful when you go to electronics/moving parts/optics, but even there used can be the way to go. I never could have bought my 100-300mm f4 new, but found it for half price on e-bay. How much can go wrong with a bean bag or a diffuser, after all?

Ian

I ended up with the 2 reflective umbrellas, the beige backdrop, the black backdrop, one of the white backdrops, and the baby poser for $125. I'm very happy with that!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back