Bw vertical portrait

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
I have to say I rarely produce bw shots; let alone a vertical. Hey... I was helping out a freind. Somehow grayscale seemed more apropiate. Classic if you will. Too bad his sweater is blown out. I thought it turned out well none the less. Let me know.

johnbuhler2yq.jpg

As you put the sweater is blown out, but also the dark hat runs into the background, there needs to be some seperation there. Maybe try adjusting the background light for that. I think you captured the expression well though, and I love that there's sparkle in both eyes!!! I'd say tone down your main light a bit, and then boost the background light and you'll have it made! You've got the expression down that's for sure :)

I was kidding myself when I decided that the hat blending into the background did not bother me. The story is a little sad and funny. This was shot in the theater during intermission during dress rehearsal. Being the last day of rehearsal before the show; I had all of two minutes to get four headshots and three scenes. I brought two lights, but got all confused when I couldn't bounce one off the ceiling. To further complicate maters I felt the need to make the light hot to compensate.

On the bright side; actors are easy to shoot. I will now separate the head from the background with a light.

Lighting issues aside, the detail and emotion that you've captured in his face is striking.

Most reactions

Back