C&C: A Flower, A Bird, and A Couple of Squirrels

fms1day

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm pretty new to photography, haven't really tried to get serious with it until I picked up my Nikon D60 earlier this month. I went out to the Botanical Garden in San Francisco, CA today with a friend and decided to start practicing. Here's the best I managed to muster up for the day. Though it may have looked good to me, it may be different for you guys. So some friendly C&C please! :thumbup:

Oh and ignore the "JustKidding Photography". I like to keep it fun.

3203223340_befffef916_b.jpg

3203226172_2c622f3c99_b.jpg

3202374241_4331af538b_b.jpg

I think it would have help if you have a shallower DOF in the first two. In the last one, I feel that that the chair get too much attention compare to the squirrel but it's still a good picture nonetheless.

I think it would have help if you have a shallower DOF in the first two. In the last one, I feel that that the chair get too much attention compare to the squirrel but it's still a good picture nonetheless.

I agree,

I didn't even see the squirrel for a few seconds. The edge of the bench is in better focus than the squirrel.

It's helpful to include the shot data (exif) with your pictures when asking for C&C.

#1 - I like the colors, the shot angle (you didn't shoot the flower straight on which would have been boring) and that you didn't place the flower dead center in the frame...looks like you locked focus and re-composed slightly. There is some noise in the background shadows, the flower is still too centered in the frame and there is too much background. You might want to try shooting this and similar with the camera in the portrait orientation. Get close. Watch the light. Watch the background. Don't center the subject.

#2 - Nice capture. Bird is flying into the frame instead of out of it. It's mostly in focus and sharp. You want to try to focus on the eyes (pretty hard with this type of shot though). There are some hot spots on the bird (slightly overexposed). Would have been nice if the bird were slightly higher in the frame.

#3 - It's a very busy shot. The B&W conversion could use more contrast. There's some noise in the background. I like the shallow DOF but wish the background was more out-of-focus. Composition isn't bad but what is the main subject? The bench or the squirrels?

Nice set of pictures.

Well done. #1 is great(!), I'm not sure if you need to improve anything in that photo. In #2 I feel like the focus is centered on the ground and the bird's tail. You could've used a shallower DOF on that photo. As to #3, I would prefer a different angle, but that's my personal preference.

To be honest with you, in regards to the first photo i really like the background clutter or at least everything to the left of flower, everything to the right of the flower does seem to distract a little :p,
As for photo number 2 as everyone had said a shallower depth of field would have been nicer but still a very nice picture
Again as the others have said the squirrels dont really stand out in number 3 which to be honest with you doesnt bother me so much.

Thanks for the great advice guys. I wasn't expecting to catch the seagull taking off and I agree too that I wish the background was blurred more. I was lucky to get it in any type of focus actually. More of a lucky shot :wink:

Btw, how do I add the exif information into my photos?

#1 - I actually like the detail in the bg, to me it's dark enough compared to the flower that it doesn't distract. That said, I would suggest either frame the flower more on the left side of the pic so it's opening into the frame, or as Samanax said, try it in portrait. But good job not bulls-eye-ing the flower!

#2 - ideally I agree the bird should be higher, but fine job from what you've said!

#3 - I'm going to have to agree with the consensus of the bench or the squirrel? Also though, knowing your intent was the squirrel, he's looking out of the frame. He should be looking into the frame, with some space between him and the edge of the frame.

Good shots overall though!

Happy Shooting! :thumbup:

Btw, how do I add the exif information into my photos?
Which editing software are you using? And how are you saving the finished images?

What photo hosting site are you using?

Most reactions

Back