C+C and a question

Ramones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got my first DSLR(D40) for Christmas, I've been lurking on here for a few months now though so I figure I'd post my first picture that wasn't just a snapshot, any c&c appreciated(The dirt at the top is on my desk not my lense :lol:)
DSC_0002-2.JPG

And my question:
I was taking pictures at my Grandma's while all my cousins were opening presents and I had the camera on Program mode, no flash, auto ISO, in pretty good lighting and my camera was giving me pretty slow shutter speeds and ISOs in the 700-1200 ranges like: DSC_0244.JPG
I'm not sure if that shot still has the exif data, if it doesn't, ISO 720, f/4.5, 1/30 shutter sped.
is there something I should be doing different?

Thanks

Last edited:
Start using aperture priority mode, and you can control the aperture and ISO, then see how the camera reacts with the shutter speed. This will help you learn how all these elements work together to get a good exposure.

Interesting concept. I think it would be better if the coin was turned slightly more so you could see it better, and cropped in a bit closer. The reflected light gives it a bit of flair, which adds to the photo.

As for your ?, Using a flash would work better, especially considering the motion of the people.

HTH

Start using aperture priority mode, and you can control the aperture and ISO, then see how the camera reacts with the shutter speed. This will help you learn how all these elements work together to get a good exposure.
Thanks for the advice, I've been switching between Manual and Aperture just taking random pictures and I think I'm getting the hang of it all, I think my biggest problem was I was at 55mm so my max aperture was f/5.6 which just wasn't enough

Interesting concept. I think it would be better if the coin was turned slightly more so you could see it better, and cropped in a bit closer. The reflected light gives it a bit of flair, which adds to the photo.

As for your ?, Using a flash would work better, especially considering the motion of the people.

HTH
I think I'm going to try cropping a bit of the top out, the dirt on the desk is distracting to me. I used flash for a bit, but everyone got a mad at me :lol:

thanks for the tips

Another question, yesterday when I was using my flash it was pretty fast and perfect, today no matter what my shutter speed is it takes a couple seconds for it to take a picture

edit: I think I got it, I had my flash mode set differently

Can you please post a smaller picture? It is a huge picture and is taking a long time to load thanks! It just seems like a snapshot to me. Keep on trying and have fun!
TJ

Can you please post a smaller picture? It is a huge picture and is taking a long time to load thanks! It just seems like a snapshot to me. Keep on trying and have fun!
TJ

How's that?

Where are you posting the pictures from? If it's flickr choose the medium picture size right click it select copy image address and then paste that inbetween
tags

Where are you posting the pictures from? If it's flickr choose the medium picture size right click it select copy image address and then paste that inbetween
tags

It's only 640x538, it's not from flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back