C & C and advice please.

KenkelsImages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
jev.jpg

Took this shot awhile ago. Don't have the specs for it, the lighting is all natural window lighting, and no photo editing done to it. Just curious if people like it or not, and what could I have done to make it a better shot.
C & C Please. :)

I like it. It's nicely framed. If anything, I would have turned the baby to the photographers right to wrap the light further around the face.

Lighting, lighting, lighting! As mentioned, either move the light or the child so that the light is illuminating the face and especially the eyes. Adjust your exposure; there are blown or nearly blown highlights on the left arm and left side of the head and back/side. Have the child look toward the cameara. If you only have one light, then consider using a reflector (even a white sheet will do) to provide some far-side reflection. The child also appears to have grown a goatee.

Lighting, lighting, lighting! As mentioned, either move the light or the child so that the light is illuminating the face and especially the eyes. Adjust your exposure; there are blown or nearly blown highlights on the left arm and left side of the head and back/side. Have the child look toward the cameara. If you only have one light, then consider using a reflector (even a white sheet will do) to provide some far-side reflection. The child also appears to have grown a goatee.

Not sure why it looks blown out, the original image as well as the print do not look that way. But thank you for the info.

There are serious hotspots to one side of the face, and the image is either soft or you missed focus (or both). When lighting a subject like this, I like to have a 200~ish shutterspeed, and an aperture of around 8. I just set the flash as necessary, and I end up with sharp details and good light.

It needed some fill light. FWIW, fill light follows and points straight at the subjects nose.

What you have posted is an example of broad lighting with a short side kicker light from camera left. The broad lighting is ton hot (over exposed) and the fill light would be about 1 stop less than the kicker light.

Well thought out. I had to go back and checkout the goatee. Yep, it's there alright.

As previously mentioned, the hot spots are the most distracting to me. The focus is pretty soft on the face; it looks like the focus point was set on the bears foot.

Most reactions

Back