C&C and Vote on which on you like the best, if any, and why?

Which one do you like the best if any?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mdsphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings,

The following four photos are all of the same still life entitled: "The Chips are Down". Each has been edited in different ways and manners and I like each in their own way. As an amateur photographer I like and appreciate others thoughts and C&C. Thus this Poll.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

001.jpeg

002.jpeg

003.jpeg

004.jpeg

© All Rights and Contents Reserved MDS Photography 2018

The only thing that is different are the colors.

#1 is alright, if weirdly blurry around the prints on the out of focus chips (this applies to all four versions).

#2 looks like a photograph that was kept in somebodies attic for 40 years. That could be a nice effect except that the colour banding also makes it look like it is a badly scanned copy of said photograph.

The speckling in the bottom of #3 is distracting from the rest of the image, it's all I can look at. The dull tones of the chips are quite pleasing to me (the colourblind person). I would remove the speckley bits by hand myself.

The darkening at the edges of #4 is nice, but the artifacting on the white chip is really bad.

The original image may have less pronounced artifacting, which would make a big difference.

I like #3. Why? Because it's the most-graphic shot.

The only thing that is different are the colors.
Designer,

There are some more difference in relation to there contrast and definition and thanks for your post.

Mark

#3 is the clear winner for me. Better detail and more pop.

There are some more difference in relation to there contrast and definition and thanks for your post.
Right.

I got that, but it's still the same photograph tweaked to four slightly different versions.

Not trying to be ugly, but even the best of the bunch, is sadly lacking. You're profile says not okay to edit, so I won't post a corrected image, instead I'll tell you what I found on the one I checked #4. WB is off, it's underexposed by a full stop, and contrast is lacking. If you have LR, try these settings and see the difference.

1234.JPG 123.JPG 12345.JPG 123456.JPG

Not trying to be ugly, but even the best of the bunch, is sadly lacking. You're profile says not okay to edit, so I won't post a corrected image, instead I'll tell you what I found on the one I checked #4. WB is off, it's underexposed by a full stop, and contrast is lacking. If you have LR, try these settings and see the difference.

View attachment 153137 View attachment 153138 View attachment 153139 View attachment 153140

I appreciate the input and I do have LR. This was edited in Snapseed from a photo taken with my Android. I will take your advise and try it. May be limited due to it not being shot in raw.

Mark

May be limited due to it not being shot in raw.

I was just working with your posted low resolution image, and still it made a substantial difference.

I didn't like any of them, basically for the reasons smoke665 mentioned - underexposure and white balance.
I would add the lighting is from to small a source, making the shadow edges to sharp, and harsh.

With much of the frame being dark the in the camera meter may have been fooled since the meter is calibrated for an average reflectance of 12% to 18% from an scene that has an average range of colors equal to a medium gray.
We have to use plus when a scene is dominated by low reflectance (like a pile of poker chips that have low reflectance) exposure compensation, or minus exposure compensation when a scene is dominated by high reflectance (like fresh snow).

smoke665

Okay. I have taken your suggested LR settings an the following is the result. I have also tried to include the original photo as taken by my phone but I keep getting an error and not sure why. I can the difference and the improvement based upon your suggestions.

Thanks!
Chips2.jpg

"Correcting" the white balance makes this much less-attractive than any of the originals.

I guess it brings about the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure". Comes down to an individuals personal preference and I appreciate all of the feedback.

Mark

I agree with Derrel You've lost a lot of the texture in that last edit. I still prefer #3.

Most reactions

Back