C&C - Baby and Kittie

gennatay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thelifeamateur.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am practicing my composition and with the different settings in my camera. Both were shot in RAW mode with my Pentax K-R, and cleaned up in Lightroom. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

5318260006_033c2f217f.jpg

F2.8 1/30
Tokina 18-70MM @ 70

5317663609_94dcd40867.jpg

F5.0 1/8
Tokina 18-70M @35MM

There's some good to these, they're nice and sharp and you're down on their level(s).

Backgrounds are a bit busy and they look very unplanned. #1 could use some more light on the little one.

You said you were working on composition, but your subjects are both pretty centered (well, faces are - but they're the focal points). Have you tried using the rule of thirds? It's one of the more basic ones that's easy to get used to and often works to improve most photos.

Thank you. I was working with the light coming in from the window. Net time I'll pull back the curtains more. I'll also do more readings on the rule of thirds.

i agree with reznap read on rule of thirds and work with cleaner backgrounds but i do have one question tho on #2 is it really 1/8? were you using a tripod? how did you get the cat to sit so still?? lol

I am just starting out so I dont have much advice to give, but great photos!

I wasnt using a tripod. I turned in Yo Gabba Gabba and he likes to watch it while laying down. My cat was curious about the camera and kept looking at it, so I started
snapping away. I'm pretty sure it was shot at 1/8. I was using a manual lens on the camera so I can be too sure. But that is the info Lightroom gave me.

The cat photo looks underexposed to me. His/her white fur looks grey. I think some post-processing could really improve this image.

I also would have used a slightly higher perspective, looking more 'down' on the cat so that the couch was the entire backdrop, rather than how it is currently composed with the couch being in the middle of your cats head.

Eagerly awaiting C&C from Boomn4x4, this seems right up his alley.....

To the OP, watch your backgrounds (mainly on the cat photo). Lines intersecting subjects tends to draw the eye away unintentionally.

p!nK

Not feeling either of them. They're both underexposed and like previously stated by others you need to work on your composition.

unless im completely mistaken u can easily register camera shake in both photos im just amazed u didn't ....nicejob :)

Thank you all. I will work and my composition, ruler of thirds and learn more about post processing.

Most reactions

Back