C&C CHILDRENS PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST ENTRY C&C

xxtriagexx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at entering a local photography contest with a twp photos i recently shot of my daughter . I am relatively new to photography and being a full time Registered Nurse and new father my time to further my hobby is limited. I wanted to upload these images to get some C&C not so much on the photography themselves (but any critque on that is always welcomed), but more so on editing tips or ideas. I have only recently began to dabble with adobe lightroom 4. I also have CS6 and the complete nik software package (although i have barely had a chance to get into those programs). Any help from seasoned eyes and those with more skills/experience of photo editing than me is always welcomed. Also if anyone has any reccomendations for where to get some good photo editing tips/training that would be great too.

url]

This picture was taken on my Canon 60d with 50mm 1.4 USM @ f 1.4 1/1000sec iso 400.

URL]

This Picture was taken on my Canon 60d with 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM @ 30mm f3.5 1/100sec iso 400

Any and all comments are welcomed. Thank You!:D

Last edited:
The first one is way off center.... you've cut too much of her off, and there's far too much background distraction.

The second on has too much distracting background in it as well. It's also has very flat contrast.

I agree the composition in #1 is lacking. There is to much space above her. I would crop away the top 1/3 of the image frame.
The lighting is quite flat and I would like more light on her eyes. If the whites of a persons eyes are gray rather than white, the image is usually under exposed.

The 2nd photo is under exposed quite a bit, and has a green-ish color cast.

Visit tv.adobe.com for Photoshop and Lightroom video tutorials.
You can also access Adobe Community Help from both CS 6 and LR when they are open by pressing your keyboard F1 key, or clicking on Help > Photoshop (or LR) Help

For quick reference and study I find these very handy:
Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers

For effective use of light:
Strobist
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
Available Light: Photographic Techniques for Using Existing Light Sources

Photography and editing tutorials:
Understanding White Balance
Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure
Photo Editing Tutorials

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back