C&C: Day 1 with Sigma 8-16mm

H4X1MA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So day 1 with the Sigma 8-16mm wide angle. I noticed a few things.

1) don't face the sun with this thing. The lense hood doesn't move, or I just havn't figured out how to make it move >.<, and you get blue sun glare dots :(
2) It seems, based on image 1, that if something if not dead center then you will get some odd results. If you look at the tops of the railing the bridge looks sideways, but if you use guidelines in PS and put it on the steps, random boards, and end of the bridge they all seem to be right on. I don't think the railing on this bridge has 2 different heights, so that's just odd.

No crop on any of these so I think my framing is getting a little better >.<

1. See the funky railing? Combination of 3 exposures. Ended up looking overexposed :(
6147727376_85deebe1e8_b.jpg

2. F/22 1/25s 8mm
6147727838_ff19cc6849_b.jpg

3. f/22 1/8s 8mm zooming during exposure. I saw this one in the "understanding exposure" yesterday and wanted to give it a try :p
6147179905_e93db3e905_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! That lens is wicked straight even at 8mm.

About your concerns:
1) Wide angles flare : /, some are better than others, but they all do it.
2) Shooting this wide exaggerates perspective distortion. I usually deal with it in 2 ways... If the shot is conducive to it, I put the camera on a tripod and carefully check for straight lines and symmetries before I take the shot. If I can't get it perfect in camera, I'll use the perspective correct tool in a photo editor. Draw some guidelines for vertical and horizontal references, and then drag the points on the perspective corrector until everything is nice and square. You can actually get some really cool effects by purposefully creating the distortion in camera (by deviating from a level shot), and then correcting it in post... the more of a correction you make the more pixels you lose though, so keep an eye out for digital artefacts.

I should have mentioned that I did use lense correction in PS on the RAW file, but you're right the distorition is not bad at all. The thing I noticed the correction doing the most was removing the Vignette.

love the third one kinda makes me dizzy

Does anyone know how I can get the effect of #3 with a bigger focus point? not that I would do this, but someone's face in the center with the background moving. No PS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back