C&C on a few more please.

ndb0407

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

DSC05747 by inasnap1, on Flickr

The family I did these for specially did not want posed shots, just picture of their one year old playing. I wish there was little more room above dad's head.

DSC05725 by inasnap1, on Flickr

I really like this one. The little girl was constantly clasping her hands.

DSC06678 by inasnap1, on Flickr

Not sure I like exposure in this shot. But I like the way the sun come right through the space between the couple.

TIA for you C&C

under exposed, poorly lit, can't see the little girls eyes, you need a fill flash, images are also crooked

You feel the first two are underexposed?

get down on her level for the 2nd one (like you did for the first one)....looks like an adult looking down on a child taking a pic.
yeah the first 2 are underexposed....theres just no pop to them...

It was an over cast day and I am new to manually adjusting my setting. But trying to learn. Any advice as to the best way to have adjusted the exposure? Adjust shutter speed? I did take a ton from her level. There was just something about this shot I really liked. Guess everyone like something different. Thanks for the comments.

To be more specific, the sky in #1 is underexposed a 1/2 stop, the people are under exposed 1 2/3 stops. In #2 the little girl is under exposed 1 1/3 stops. I made those measurements in Photoshop, not just be eye.

'Natural light' photography requires the photographer take contol of the light in the scene, just like when using lights, and use what ever reflectors, diffusers, and other devices are needed to properly exposed their main subjects.

Actually, 'natural light' photography usually requires more assistants, and hauling around much more gear and grip, than just using lights.

Thanks. I am just learning about lighting. Are there any recommendation on books or sites that discuss natural lighting vs lighting systems?

In #1, the background is a bit distracting. Personally, I would have used a larger aperture (2.8) to get the child in focus, parents OOF in the background instead. #2, the child isn't looking at the camera--no catch lights, personally wouldn't have kept this picture. Like others have mentioned, get on the child's level for their portraits. Looking down on your subject isn't the greatest way of portraying them.

Lighting is lighting.

It is all the same regardless if you put your subject(s) in open shade with the bright blue sky as your main light and a reflector, or on-camera flash as fill. Or if your subject(s) are out in direct sunlight and you diffuse the direct sunlight on them and use spuulimental light (reflected or otherwise to achieve separating the subject(s) from the background.

All light is natural light and is made of the same thing - photons. The more accurate term is available light.

People use the term 'natural light' mainly as a marketing tool, though the term often means they know little if anything about photographic lighting.

Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Available Light: Photographic Techniques for Using Existing Light Sources

Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers

Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography

Chasing the Light: Improving Your Photography with Available Light (Voices That Matter)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would suggest checking out this blog too if you're interested in learning about off camera lighting: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

H
ere are my thoughts about your photos:

#1: I love the composition of this photo! I also love the moment you captured. It does need to be lightened up a bit as others already mentioned.

#2: I agree with everyone above. The eyes are the focus of any portrait... make sure they don't become black holes.

#3: I like this but it seems to be in some in between stage to me. I would have either made it a silhouette or given the couple some fill light so they are properly exposed.

Keep shooting!

Most reactions

Back