C&C on a picture that I enjoy

SilverEF88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so I really like this picture but wanted to get some feed back. Thanks.

DSC_0214.jpg

For me, too dark.... But the organization of the objects are nice and clean!

My first thought is the questions "How do these two things fit together". Does the mallet have anything to do with the subject matter in this book? Usually I don't question random objects' relations in photographs but the lighting and mood of this photo makes that book and hammer really important feeling-like i should be getting something out of this.

On a technical note I like the reflections but I think the composition could be more...er more? Maybe a tighter crop or something...not sure.

So 1984 is an interesting book that everyone should read, it is a very dystopian novel. The mallet is a gravel like a judge would have and it goes pretty well with the book. (totally don't mean to sound b****y). I purposely screwed with the exposure to isolate the objects, hence why it is so dark. Thanks for the feedback, I am going to try it with a closer crop.

I didn't even realize it was a gavel at first. I thought it was a salt and pepper shaker...:meh:

PS: It's too dark.

Updated a little, albeit still dark but I didn't want to change the mood.

DSC_0214-1.jpg

It might help if you just use a black backdrop. It would be possible to get good exposure on the subject but still have the dark background.

Very true, it wasn't a shot that I spent a lot of time on preparation. It was for my blog picture for that day and I spent maybe 20 minutes on it. Thanks and I will definately be investing in a black backdrop. Thank you.

Very difficult to tell it's a gavel.

For me, too dark....

Certainly is a rather dark photo but just maybe that is what was intended. We often see feedback proclaiming underexposure. Maybe so, maybe no. If a photographer wants to portray an object in a somewhat dark room, then that is what we'll see. Take a look at the stuff and people around you in the living room on a quiet evening. The softness and abatement of the room lights adds much to the feeling of intimacy. Were we to blast the scene with 800ws of flash then the scene is no longer one of quiet contemplation.
Just saying.

For me, too dark....

Certainly is a rather dark photo but just maybe that is what was intended. We often see feedback proclaiming underexposure. Maybe so, maybe no. If a photographer wants to portray an object in a somewhat dark room, then that is what we'll see. Take a look at the stuff and people around you in the living room on a quiet evening. The softness and abatement of the room lights adds much to the feeling of intimacy. Were we to blast the scene with 800ws of flash then the scene is no longer one of quiet contemplation.
Just saying.
Maybe so, but if it is hard to even see the subject, it might be underexposed...

So after my adjustment I still prefer the first picture. The mood and theme that I was going for were best represented by that picture. I am a little confused as to why people are having a hard time seeing the picture, it is quite discernible on my laptop. I guess the only way to really tell would be in printed form. Thanks to everyone for their different viewpoints. The picture that I wanted to make is what I made. Thanks again.

It is a little more discernable on my home monitor, but it still looks like a pepper grinder at first glance.

I think a hand with five fingers and the number 4 highlighted on the book woulda worked more.. i mean, i understand the idea behind the gavel, but that doesnt really go with the book in my opinion. In my opinion, seeing five and understanding it as four was SOOO important, and basically the climax of the book..

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Jake

I knew right away it was a gavel. I like it Silver, but you and I enjoy the same time of photos... People either like it or they hate it.

Most reactions

Back