C&C on latest roll of black and white

You should get a light meter then. If you are leaving parts of your images up to random chance (shutter speed), it makes it hard to control what you are doing or trying to say with your images. In a lot of those locations I wouldn't trust my camera's light meter anyway unless you are metering off a gray card--a lot of the scenes seem to be on the dark, low-key side and give your meter an inaccurate reading (unless your camera has a sophisticated metering system).

You should get a light meter then. If you are leaving parts of your images up to random chance (shutter speed), it makes it hard to control what you are doing or trying to say with your images. In a lot of those locations I wouldn't trust my camera's light meter anyway unless you are metering off a gray card--a lot of the scenes seem to be on the dark, low-key side and give your meter an inaccurate reading (unless your camera has a sophisticated metering system).

Sometimes the lack of control is liberating. Try walking around on a bright day with a roll of PanF in an M4. It's exhilarating.

Sometimes the lack of control is liberating. Try walking around on a bright day with a roll of PanF in an M4. It's exhilarating.

That, and carrying around a light meter kinda defeats the purpose of a small compact little camera.

That, and carrying around a light meter kinda defeats the purpose of a small compact little camera.

I didn't know light meters were humongous, cumbersome objects.

The lack of control? Why not just shoot in automatic then? What I am trying to say is that you have a good eye and you might as well have some type of vision for every time you click the shutter, and being able to control your tones and your shutter speed would be a part of that equation. Especially if you are shooting on film and have no idea what you are getting until the film is processed and contacts or proofs are made. With digital you can chimp and make adjustments on the fly.

Right, light meters are not that big to begin with, but this is the camera I like to put in my pocket when it is less than practical to carry around an slr/dslr, so, I don't really want to add another gadget (though I could probably have just as much fun taking light readings instead of photos) to the inventory of my pockets. The XA already does a good job of metering/selecting shutter speeds (Olympus XA - a set on Flickr), it just dosent tell me what its thinking.

And as for the lack of control, this is the only camera I shoot on that is anything less than full manual. It is a fun little camera to shoot on and the feedbackless (is that even a word?) meter is just a little quirk that makes you think about how the camera will react to your chosen composition and forces you to think how you can get the same mise-en-scene while conforming to the unique qualities of this camera. And it was the first time I'd shot 100iso black-and-white, so I didn't really know exactly what I was getting to begin with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back